PDA

View Full Version : The wind is supposed to slow down on the delta!

JerryInLodi
05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Starting tomorrow, and for the next five days, the winds are the delta are supposed to diminish. Two things should occur, first the evaporation levels will fall off, allowing the water to warm, and second, the water should become a little clearer since the levees won't be pounded by waves. Both of these should bring out the bass.

Wednesday through Monday look to be excellent delta fishing days!

Sturmer White
05-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Jerry, I thought you knew the Delta is good whenever you go out. Not just Weds. and Thursdays. :lol:

JerryInLodi
05-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Sturmer, you could have held the surfing championships on the San Joaquin on Monday or Tuesday about 5pm.

Ok, a confession, I played a trick on my wife. We went out early Sunday morning, before the wind started blowing and got in a few casts and a few fish. She wanted to drive the boat back to the barn when the wind came up about 9:30. We headed out into the San Joaquin from one of the sloughs and she turned the nose north, taking those swells broad on the port bow. She hadn't driven the boat in that kind of weather before and still had the throttle at 4600 and the boat doing about 30mph. She slammed into a crest and white water came over big time, drenching her. If it hadn't been so rough I would have rolled around on the deck I was laughing so hard. She's a good sport though and after putting the boat in neutral, gave me the helm so I could get an equal soaking. I backed off and barly got wet.

On the way in we came across a 25 foot cruiser who's outdrive was stuck in the up position. They were in a dangerous position with the wind blowing and were sitting on an anchor, trying to repair with the boat rocking, rolling and yawing back and forth. We gave them a tow in to the courtesy dock at Korth's. They appreciated it.

SullyTM
05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Captain Jerry...Watch out for whales :D

Hairstacker
05-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Geez, I sure hope they're right about the wind forecast Jerry. It was so bad last weekend that all I did was walk outside in the morning, glance at the trees blowing sideways, and slunk right back in the house. :cry:

With a little respite from the winds and typical late May/June temperatures, the topwater fishing on the Delta will be a blast. :D

JerryInLodi
05-23-2007, 05:41 AM
Since the winds can be so different on the delta compared to where someone lives, it's good to check a delta source before making the dirve. Here's the location of a website for the Sugar Barge weather station at Frank's Tract. It has a real time wind speed indicator.

http://www.sugarbarge.com/weather.html

At this 6am Wednesday morning, the wind is averaging about 10mph. Not a good sign since this should be the quietest time of the day.

East Bay Ed
05-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for posting the wind gage Jerry. I like it. :P I've wasted too many days driving to the delta only to have to fight the wind.

JerryInLodi
05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I fished Wednesday night. What a pleasure. For the first time in I don't remember how long I actually could get in five or six casts without having to mess with the trolling motor. The wind was down but unfortunately the water was as well. I was fishing the very bottom of a low tide. Many of the areas that hold fish were high and dry and the weeds had collapsed to a thick mass that no fish could penetrate.

Even so, I put nine fish in the boat and missed another six or seven, some LDR'ed and some missed the bug in their grab. Nothing big but nothing exceptionally small either. One of the fish was a striper. Man, their topwater take is so much different than a LMB. That fish was half out of the water a foot and a half from the fly and surfed his way to the take.

With the high water in the evening next week, the afternoon bite ought to be excellent. That is if the wind desides to continue behaving...

Hairstacker
05-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Sounds great Jerry, sounds like you had fun! :D The very bottom of the low tide is definitely not my favorite situation either but at least it often narrows the possibiliites, like the outside edge of weedlines and any structure that still borders water of any depth. Then again, I've found you usually have to wait for the water to start moving to get into decent action.

Yeah, since I live just down the street from the Delta, I can pretty much peg what the wind's doing there as soon as I step outside. That said, as you know, conditions do often change during the day both ways. Unless the winds are horrific, though, it is definitely time to get out there. I don't put too much stock in border-line wind forecasts, as I've been disapppointed by their accuracy (or rather lack thereof) too many times. I say, when in doubt, go! :D

Sturmer White
05-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Jerry
I like your last paragraph. High tide For our outing next week. Looks like a full moon also. Now if you just take care of that wind.
Think your wife will let you stay out all night. Just kidding.
The big hair bugs are ready to go.

JerryInLodi
05-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Sturmer, I'm just back from a lackluster four days at Fall River/Baum Lake. I didn't do bad but the fish are much smaller than years past. I think I was just a little frustrated as well fishing with 7x tippet after fishing the delta for a whole season with nothing smaller than 20 lb. leader. As far as the wind gods go, I'll have to check but I must say that it was blowing tonight when I was driving south on I-5 and then 99.

jbird
05-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Hey Jerry

I just checked out your website. What a beautifully done site! I especially loved the baja section. Very informative with great pictures. If you guys havnt seen it yet, click on the link at the bottom of jerrys signature!

Jay

JerryInLodi
05-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Jay, you're too kind. Thanks!