PDA

View Full Version : The "New" Powell Fly Rods ?

Tony Buzolich
05-22-2007, 07:16 AM
We have a meeting today with a rep. from Powell Rod Co. wanting us to bring them on board.

Has anyone had any experience yet with the Tiberon XL or the TiMax?

As I remember, it wasn't too long ago that Powell quite selling retail and wanted to handle everything out of their main plant in Novato. This marketing plan obviously didn't work and now they're back to the old ways again.

They have now expanded their line to include a ton of bass and spinning rods as well and get in on the bass tournament thing too.

It seems that they're trying another marketing direction again and I question whether I want to bring them on board.

Any thoughts or comments on their product and warranty service would be appreciated.

Thanks,
TONY

Darian
05-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Tony,.... I have a 9', 4pc., TiMax, 10 wt., that I used in Baja last year. The rod performed perfectly. Good casting (even in a rolling panga) and had a lot of lifting power.

Unfortunately, there is no locking wring on the reel seat. The result was that I had to remember to tighten the only ring after every 4-5 casts.... Used it with a Brakewater reel (good fit) but was never able to tighten it enough to make the ring stay.

rrivera
05-30-2007, 10:55 AM
I've had my TiMax 6wt for several years... Love it..! Tip is soft enough for nymphing, and provides all the punch I need for those bigger summer bugs...

DF200gr is my streamer set up & Rio Steelhead taper is my dry line of choice..

Hope this helps... I know from what I've read from all your posts, that your into the bigger game fish, but this 6wt is one prime trout rod as well...

Hope this helps Tony...

All the best..!