PDA

View Full Version : cicadas

PatrickM
05-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Been reading some stuff about the emergence of cicadas this year in the midwest. Don't know why, but I find bugs that live in their larval stage for seventeen years really interesting.
Anyone have any experience with these bad boys?

Adam Grace
05-21-2007, 05:13 PM
I used cicada fly patterns on the Green River, in Utah, 5 years ago. Our guide showed us the insect then he threw it onto the water, after a 15 foot drift downstream a trout gobbled it up, very exciting.

SullyTM
05-23-2007, 08:28 AM
pm...Oh what a racket they make!! Growing up in Michigan I can remember the cicada explosion! Blue Jays love them! Also, June Bugs on a warm, humid Summer night, swarming around a lamp post was pretty cool! I better stop right there on the Mighigan memories or I'll be moving back before I'm ready!

Oh, least I forget....Michigan skeeters!!! Don't leave home without the OFF!

Later...

Adam Grace
05-23-2007, 10:33 AM
I used cicada fly patterns on the Green River, in Utah, 5 years ago. Our guide showed us one cicada he captured on the bank after I landed a fish, after showing us he threw it onto the water, after a 15 foot drift downstream a trout gobbled it up, very exciting.

Mike Stroud
11-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Adam,
Did you fish the Green River, out of Dutch John, below the dam? Great fun! I had the similar experience... After riding my mtn. bike down into the canyon... found a lot of rising bruts... discovered I'd left my "best" flies back in camp... 4 miles of uphill ride out of the canyon. Threw everything I had, however, at those big rainbows... not even a second look... Then picked up a live cicada found walking along the shore... tossed it upstream from the lurking red stripes... and SLAM! A 4# fish hit it with a vengence.... So, I found just one... hopper pattern in my box... that was the same size... however much different than the cicada.... tied it on.... after two drifts... SLAM! ...and redeemed myself for leaving the "best" flies back in camp. Great fun on the Green River... big Cuts and Bows!

Adam Grace
11-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Stroud, yes I did fish out of Dutch John. We fished A section down to a camp at the top part of B section the first day. We fished most of B section the second day. On the third (last) day we fished all of B into the top part of C section. I loved that trip. Unbelievable trout fishing!

Ed Wahl
11-27-2007, 07:56 PM
I remember them from my childhood in Illinois. They're huge, look like aliens and they sound like alien spaceship sound affects. Ed

Kevin Goding
03-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah the Cicada patterns on the green work well, although I think any big ugly fly would get taken during the cicada emergence. Fished the Green a few times in my younger days, once during the so called Cicada hatch. The cicada patterns in the fly shops looked more like oversized stonefly patterns to me with orange rubber legs, but the fish didnt seem to mind that, but most of the time the fish up there weren't too selective anyway. That fly or variances of it work well when pteronarcids are emerging too. Still have a few of those flies in my box, since that particular cicada isn't very common in California.

drifter
12-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi everyone.....
I am new to the board and thought I'd show you some pics of a few cicadas I found while floating the Green last summer. I know this post is old but guess it doesn't matter.
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/hydeo4/P6120802.jpg
They get pretty big!
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/hydeo4/P6120829.jpg
Here's one hatching next to camp at the beginning of the B section