PDA

View Full Version : anyone else?

amoeba
05-20-2007, 09:38 PM
5/19/07 - 8 pm - American below log hole (paradise) caught one 13" male; had a couple strikes; my first shad of the year, thought it was the beginning of a good stretch.

5/21/07 -but - skunk today, same place. some fish thru out day at shanghai bend on the feather but a zoo to fish.

OceanSunfish
05-20-2007, 11:05 PM
I assume that the velocity or current of the A as it meets the Sac is not as strong as the Feather at Verona? At least not enough to lure 'em upriver in big pods. I know the shad are stacked at the falls but the Feather from Verona through Nicolaus and beyond isn't exactly a raging current either.

Silly shad. There's no rhyme or reason to 'em.

Jeff C.
05-21-2007, 08:02 AM
I got a couple this weekend (a small male and a fiesty hen) and lost a couple because of a weak hook at the Log Hole. A guy I've seen shad fishing over the years caught 6 yesterday morning. Thanks for the fly Ron! :wink: Jeff C.

Jgoding
05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
I checked my usual haunt on Saturday... a few guys throwing top water for stripe but I saw no shad so I haven't even gotten my feet wet yet.... but looking back I don't usually even bother until June anyways so I'm not sweating it........

MSP
05-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Well I'm still hoping for a lost 1/2 pounder but not today. I did hang a couple of Shad, must have gone 5 maybe 6 inches. Thr first one came flying out of the water and started running right up the shallow bar I was standing on. Then a 5-6 pound Stripe came right up behind it right at my feet. I tried to get the Shad back over the ledge where the Stripe dissapeared but it came off just as it got into the deeper water. Pretty cool.

Jeff C.
05-25-2007, 07:43 AM
I fished Sat, Sun, Tues, and yesterday for a total of 15 hrs of fishing on the A. Result 4 shad (2 males, 2 hens). If you figure a minute between each cast, thats 900 casts. It's a good thing that I'm throwing a shooting head using my 6 wt. Jeff C.