PDA

View Full Version : Upper Sacramento; Fall River; Rubicon

Bill Carnazzo
05-20-2007, 05:44 AM
The Upper Sac is fishing well. The fish are larger than in the past 5 or 6 years, and very healthy. The river flow is near its normal August level, so now is the time to hit it because it's going to get low and warm early this year. Golden Stone nymphs work well during the morning hours; adult imitations (Stimulator, #10) works when the adult stones return to the river in the evening. During the afternoon use #16 Birds Nest in olive and tan, tied sparsely. I suggest a two or three fly rig, with the third fly suspended 14" below the point fly--a good bet would be a Swimming PT in size 16 or 18. In the late evening try a Parachute Cahill in size 16 for that small mayfly hatch (or spinner fall) that can happen at that time.

The Fall River is, in a word, primo right now. I fished it with a group last week and again this week. While some smaller (12-14") fish can be caught on the surface with PMD dries and/or emergers during the hatch period (usually 11:00-1:00), the bigger fish can be caught on streamers in the deep holes. Try a Matuka swung deep on a Rio Deep 7 line; leeches such as the Bloody Black Leech tied with STS trilobal yarn are deadly. You can also swing small nymphs such as a Beadhead Flashback Swimming PT in size 16 or 18--they won't leave it alone. I won't tell you how many 16-22" fish were landed on that fly this last Tuesday. Alternative strategies include using an indicator to suspend a couple of small nymphs with a little weight. The wind does come up in the afternoon so be prepared for that; but mornings and evenings are calm and beautiful. So, enjoy!

A little closer to home, the Rubicon (lower reaches) is fishing well, as are some of the smaller streams in the canyon. Golden Stone nymphs work well in the morning, but the rest of the day can be spent catching fish on attractor dries such as a Royal Wulff in size 14. In the evening try a small Stimulator to imitate caddis and goldens. There are a few large browns in the river, but the fish are mainly small wild rainbows.

Ed Wahl
05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Took the granddaughter camping on one of the Tribs to the Rubicon. Spent about as much time hunting newts(22,c&r of course) as fishing. Water conditions are several weeks ahead of normal. Golden Stones are showing,(she found one and played with it for the longest time) and water temps and levels are about perfect. Adding to that is no one is up there yet. Dries, Nymphs, top, bottom, it's all working now. If you can make it up this week, before the big M-Day, do it. You won't be sorry. Ed

Hairstacker
05-20-2007, 09:19 PM
What a great trip Ed, good for you! I'll bet she had a blast and won't ever forget such times. :)