PDA

View Full Version : Bass gone wild!!!

jbird
05-16-2007, 05:12 PM
I fished "the pond" for a couple hours today. The topwater action was rediculous! I put on a 4" crease fly on a 2/0 salwater hook and got some really big bass. I got some good sized ones on my frog popper, but the crease brought the big boys up from the depths.
At one point I was walking the shore and saw the largest bass I've ever seen in the pond. I stopped and started fishing to him. I had a small dryfly on at the time cause fish were rising to caddis on the surface. The hog looked at my fly closely and refused. This fish was swimming to and fro very excitedly, like a dog waiting for you to throw a ball. He couldnt give a rip about my presence, I was waving my rod right over him. I half heartedly tied the crese fly back on...I didnt test the knot...DOH!. I backhanded a cast within range of the fish. He was like a dog with a ball. Smacking it with authority! I set the hook and the thing did a double backflip. Next thing I know, I paid the piper for not testing the knot...Aaarrggghhhhh!!!

All in all, it was one of the funnest bass experiences I've had. One topwater explosion after another!

Jay

Ed Wahl
05-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Ed

Adam Grace
05-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Great to hear that you had fun, I'm jealous. Once my finals are over I will go out and harass some bass myself.

Hairstacker
05-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Now THAT is a "pond" to be savored and treasured! :D

jbird
05-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I couldnt take it! I had to go back today :D The wind was coming strong from the north and cool. the fish were NOT happy. Very few visible cruisers and even less hookups.

I got a huge suprise with this bad boy. I thought there were only bass in the lake. So did the lake owner. He planted bluegill and crappie when the pond was born but hadnt seen any in a couple years. This was the largest bluegill I have ever seen. No wonder it never got eaten :shock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC00653.jpg

Here was one of the few bass I got on the crease fly today. It was a quality fish though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC00660.jpg

Jay

Katz
05-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Which gave the better fight between those two?

Katz

Ed Wahl
05-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Just noticed the size comparison between the 'gill and your rod handle. That thing is huge! I've had smaller than that spin my float tube around. If Bluegill grew to 30 pounds none of us would be safe. Nice pics Jay. Like the angle on the Bass pic, did you lay on the ground to take it? Ed

jbird
05-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Katz

The bluegill gave me a longer more animated fight. It just turned its side to me and went back and forth. But the bass wins the prize for being a topwater explosion :D

Ed. For a little perspective, the distance from the butt of the rod to the front of the cork is just under 11". It does knida look like I was laying down for the bass shot huh? :lol: I just stuck the camera in its face for something different :D

Jay

Hairstacker
05-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Wow, congratulations on a GREAT fish! VERY nice!! 8) 8) 8)