PDA

View Full Version : Missoula Montana next week

Mike Churchill
05-15-2007, 01:06 PM
I just got the terrible ( :twisted: ) word that I need to fly to Missoula, Montana next week to attend a deposition that may last several days. The good news is, this means I will probably have two to three evenings to try and catch a fish or two while I'm there. I've read all the responses on the Montana thread over the last week but I've got slightly different issues. :? I could use some advice on two fronts:

1) Assuming I'll have just a couple of evenings to work with, what are my best bets for getting out and catching a couple of fish? :)

2) Not having flown with fly gear before, does anyone have any do's or don'ts regarding what to take and how to pack it? I figure I'm best off traveling light w/just a four piece rod and a minimally loaded vest if wading gear is not essential. For those who fly that lightly loaded, is it worth trying to get the rod and vest through in your carry on? :?

All advice welcome.

Mike

Digger
05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
suggestions for item 1, google the area and contact a local shop for the best and latest info

item2, I always ship my ski gear ahead of time when I've gone to Colo, Utah, B.C. That way I'm more assured UPS will get it there, than our wonderful airlines, and you don't have to lug that extra stuff through the airports either.
I've not done this for a fishing trip, but don't see why I wouldn't. The cost isn't bad, all things considered.

JT
05-15-2007, 05:17 PM
I've heard stories of people having trouble trying to keep their rods in their carry-on luggage. I think they usually make you check them in. I've never had any problems, though. I always pack my rods in my suit case.

flycaster5
05-15-2007, 05:31 PM
I just flew to Bozeman a couple weeks ago, and like on many other trips had no problem carrying on my fly rods. I have 4-piece rods, so the tube is fairly short (no bad jokes) and fits in the overhead bin easily.

There's also a good ff board in Montana, the guys on there might be able to help. I'm not sure of the ettiquette of posting the name of the website here, so just PM me if you're interested.

midger
05-15-2007, 07:44 PM
If you have a 4 piece or smaller (9 foot or less), you'll have no problems taking them in your carryones, or at least that has been my experience the last several times I've flown from California to Idaho on Southwest. I certainly don't want to check them in if I don't have to.

You can ship them beforehand, but this requires more advance planning.

Pimpinmeat
05-16-2007, 10:29 AM
I fly all over the country for work and take a 4 pc. double rod & reel case as my carry on and have never had an issue. I would suggest you bring waders for this trip if you plan on wading, the run-off is just starting and that water can get pretty cold there. I've been to Bozeman several times during the spring and it can snow, rain, be sunny, or windy, so be prepared for all kinds of weather. I saw it snow in the morning on the way to Yellowstone River, then be sunny the rest of the day, and then pour cats & dogs while we were taking out. I checked with some fly shops on the phone before I went to gather info, then went into them to talk some more and pick up some things. Most shops are pretty helpful up there.

Mike Churchill
05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the tips. Best news is that I have to stay Monday night through Friday afternoon and the plaintiff's physical condition may mean that the deposition sessions will be only partial days. :shock:

Watch out fish, here I come. :twisted:

I will definitely contact the local flyshop(s). My first big issue is whether I can fish successfully w/o wading since leaving the waders and boots behind would cut down on the luggage quite a bit. :roll:

The second issue is which two of the following three items get carried on and which goes as checked baggage: Rod(s) carried on/rod(s) packed in suitcase; big rolling brifcase w/laptop; hanging bag w/suits. :?

Mike

Matt Frey
05-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Hey Mike
You might want to think about sending your rods (and maybe even the waders) to the hotel that you are staying at and then send them back home.
Just a thought
Matt

Pimpinmeat
05-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Shipping your waders might be a good way to go, I don't think there to many places to fish with out getting wet. I could be wrong though, just another question to ask a local fly shop. As far as shipping goes, I've bought stuff and had it shipped to my room before I even arrived. Most hotels do a good job of holding things if you call them in advance.

DocEsox
05-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Have fished western Montana since for 40 years....lived there, great place to fish. If you are looking for not travelling far the Bitterroot River can have some great action this time of year.....rainbows, browns and an occasional westslope cutthroat. You can fish it not far out of Missoula, going south, for 60 miles.....travelling south to Hamilton will give you less fettered fishing. Depending on the water level it is very wadeable and access is pretty darn good from the road. Here's one website with some info there: http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/bitterroot.html. Hit a local flyshop.....especially in Hamilton and you should have no problem catching fish. If you have the better part of a day driving south to Darby and then following the West Fork of the Bitterroot up the canyon can get you into some great westslope cutthroat action.....with some nice rainbows and an occasional brown thrown in....and very little pressure. The road parallels the river for several miles. Used to work out there on occasion.....it was really good fishing.....water level permitting.

I travel several times a year with my waders, rods and fishing equipment. Always carry my rods on the plane, usually pack my waders, boots and fishing equipment in a cooler. Never have a problem.

Have fun,

Brian

PaulC
05-18-2007, 06:29 PM
If you're travelling in the US with gear somewhat frequently, you could always call your homeowners insurance agent and look into personal articles policies. I did that with most of my travel rods and I think it was something like 60 bucks a year. No deductible if lost and hey....even UPS loses stuff.
If you're not remote at least you can get a replacement quickly and salvage the trip.
-Paul

PS. Never had any problems shipping rods/reels/flies in suitcases non-carryon in country or not, but I could just be lucky.

Mike Churchill
05-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

I'll post a report once I manage to get out on the water. :evil:

Mike

Mike Churchill
05-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, I made it to Missoula and have spent several hours on Rock Creek (about 20 miles east of town) the last two evenings.

The good news is: the scenery is great and the water is beautiful. :)

The bad news is: haven't seen a fish either day 'cause the rivers are blown out and cold. :(

And did I mention that it rained and hailed on me yesterday? :cry:

Weather has been cool and showery. All the rivers are running high and the cold weather put the kibosh on the salmon fly hatch. :x

On the advice of two fly shops, I've been fishing the side channels on lower Rock Creek, which is about 20 miles east of town. Today, the water was 47 degrees and rippin' even in the side channels in the meadows. Saw a few small pale mayflies and a couple of ovipositing caddis, but the fish are making themselves scarce.

I did have a couple of "maybe that was a fish" "hits" on an olive "rubber bugger" yesterday. :oops: The "rubber bugger is a size 6 flashabugger with rubber "legs" sticking out all over the body and a large cone head. :shock: Casting one with a 5-weight is not pretty. :roll:

More rain in the forecast tomorrow.

The good news is, I may have to come back in three weeks. :evil:

Sturmer White
05-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Mike
Sorry you hit the Rock in a bad time. Try it in August.
I fidh it Way south,Up stream ( I know ! It's crazy, the river runs north up there) Great hopper country.

Mike Churchill
05-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Survived my trip to Missoula. :)

Got out for a couple of hours each afternoon/evening. Tuesday through Thursday I hit Rock Creek with another guy attending the same deposition as I was. I smelled like skunk all three days. :o He caught one brown Thursday evening about 5 minues before a roaring thunderstorm came over the ridge and chased us off the water. :shock: We jumped in the car and drove back to Missoula in our waders.

On Friday afternoon, I had just a couple of hours to kill before heading to the airport, so I drove up the Blackfoot River to do some sight seeing. Stopped to look at a fishy looking spot which turned out to be occupied, but the young guy their took pity on my fishless ass and suggested I try Gold Creek, which is a small trib of the Blackfoot. 8)

7 miles up a dirt road I hit the creek and a locked gate. Had the meadow to myself for the hour and 15 minutes I was there. :) Weather was finally really nice and the wild cuts attacked both a Stimulator and a Humpy. :D Landed 4 plus one dink so small my hookset looked like a backcast with a streamer. :shock: LDR'd and/or missed about seven more.

All in all, it was a great way to end the trip. I went to the airport with a smile on my face (and sweat in my pits 'cause I was afraid I'd stayed to long and might miss my flight).

And, it looks like I might have to go back for more sessions of that deposition in two weeks. :evil: