PDA

View Full Version : The next 6-8 weekends

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-14-2007, 09:31 AM
For the Upper Sac, lower McCloud and Pit Rivers I would try to plan something very soon.

Mid-July to mid-September can be pretty tough up there.

There are many other streams like the North Fork of the Yuba River and the Truckee River that seem to get started later. They should be very good in June/July this summer.

In general August fly fishing "sucks" in Nor Cal unless you are around 10,000 feet or at sea level on our Pacific coast.

Fall River has started too. Mid-May to Mid-July should be very good there and then again in the Fall.

fallriverfish
05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Not to start a pissing match but I have found August to be very good fishing and not alot of people. The lower McCloud will stay cold throughout August and I have had some excellent evenings dry fly fishing in August on the McCloud. The Fall River usually fishes very well in August also. The pit can warm up a little in August especially in lower 5(big bend) The upper sac warms a little but the inflow of springs keeps it in check.

This seems to be one of those stereotypes you keep hearing that just isn't true. Bill I will comp you a free day of guiding just so we can put this one to bed. Is that putting my money where my mouth is or what ?

I usually don't put my name on posts because of the spam thing.

Billy Downs (fishing guide)aka fallriverfish
Clearwater Lodge
Confluence Outfitters
Circle 7/Spinner Fall

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the interesting response Bill.

Sorry we are '180 degrees' out on this one.

I think you are confused about my intension here. I am trying to get ordinary people up there while it's easy so they might catch something.

Not in August when it's so difficult that only the best guides and Fall River groupies are catching fish.

I'll bet my fly shop against your 12' Valco that 80% of the guides up there are with me on this one.

fallriverfish
05-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Wow.

Its 15 ft.