PDA

View Full Version : indicators over spooky fish

justinbailie
05-14-2007, 06:56 AM
this subject has probably been run before, but what are some of the techniques some of you use for an indicator when fishing nymphs over spooky educated trout.

i know, if i was really good, i wouldn't need an indicator right.

thanks!

Justin

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-14-2007, 08:10 AM
I remember that Alan Barnard started using white sheep's fleece dresses with floatant.

I guess it looked like some kind of flotsam and did not bother the fish.

Adam Grace
05-14-2007, 08:18 AM
I've also heard of white yarn, like Bill's wool suggestion, working well. I have also seen people use a light blue yarn to match the blue sky when the fish look up.

justinbailie
05-14-2007, 08:28 AM
thanks guys. yeah, i've definitely just used a smaller piece of yarn, or i guess just a floating fly. big ol' foam hopper or something. was just wondering if there was some much smarter than most of us that had developed something that was small; could be put on and taken off without having to retie. funny, yarn still seems to be the almost the best thing which is what i was using almost 20 years ago. uh oh bill. think that is the first time on this forum i have reminisced about something. it must be the beginning of getting old. or maybe it's just because i started fly fishing when i was 10. yeah, that's it. hehee

J

bigtj
05-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Justin,

A small balloon, in a natural color like green or blue, about the size of an olive, works really well. I used to be a yarn die-hard but I'll probably never use it again. Personally, though, for really spooky fish I go dropper-dry. The big dry seems natural to the fish even though they might not eat it.

-John

JT
05-14-2007, 12:57 PM
I've used all kinds of indicators. I fish Putah a lot, so I pretty much always use a nymphicator rig. Lately I've been using white yarn indicators. I carry a few sizes and use one that will barely support the split shot and current. This makes for a fairly small indicator that's quite sensitive to subtle takes. This time of year there can be tons of white "fluff" on the water, so the white yarn blends in. It's tough to pick out your indicator amongst all the "naturals" when the wind is blowing.

bonish
05-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Fished the Little Truckee a couple of years ago with a guide who used a corky-type indicator, but had the bottom painted black. Don't know if that was the primary reason, but I do know I hooked over thirty fish that day with most of them to hand. I've played with the dark bottom indicator on some streams with clear water and it does "seem" to be effective, but who knows for sure.

trog
05-15-2007, 08:53 AM
I've been quite happy with the Nymph Tracker II from Innovative Anglers. Its yarn with a little plastic hook that clamps on to your line, so its easy to remove and adjust. Made of synthetic yarn, and if its treated with some floatant, floats high in the water all day. Problem is, I can't find them anymore. My local shop had them for a bit, but then they stopped. Having a hard time finding them on the Web too.

PaulC
05-15-2007, 08:59 AM
I've always used larger humpies or stimulators as an indicator for spooky fish.
For the ones used as indicators I tie on a small mono loop as a first step to allow for a loop to loop connection with the indicator fly.
It makes it a bit easier to adjust the depth of the dropper.

A couple friends also use small balloons for ballonicating. Seems to work well and makes for a cheap indicator. Size is totally up to how big you blow up the balloon.
-Paul

Darian
05-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm with Paul.... After trying hard/soft indicators, I returned to the dry fly indicator and have had much more fun/success since that time. 8) 8) 8)

Matt Frey
05-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey Darian
How are you attaching the tippet from the dry fly to the nymph? Are you just tying it to the bend of the hook?

Paul,
I am a little confused with the loops that you are describing.

Thanks in advance
Matt

PaulC
05-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Hey Matt,
I just use fine mono and tie a small loop onto the shank of the hook slightly protruding out the back.
I then tye the pattern as normal leaving the normal pattern with a small mono loop in the back to attach to.
Its just an alternative to attaching onto the bend of the hook.

Another friend would tye a tag of mono sticking straight out from the back of the bug as the first step and then following the normal steps for a humpy or stimulator.
Then just use a double surgeon's knot to attach material for the dropper.
However, if you have breakoffs, your mono tag tends to get shorter each time.
-Paul

Darian
05-15-2007, 04:13 PM
I tend to do what's easiest in the moment but prefer to use the indicator dry on a 6" dropper. Not really particular about it, I think that lets the point fly extend straight down. 8) 8) If I'm still sleepy and fishing in the (gasp :shock: :shock: ) early AM, I'll tie it on to the bend of the hook. 8) 8)

Matt Frey
05-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Cool. Thanks you guys.

JT
05-15-2007, 05:11 PM
When the fish are near the surface, I use a dry/dropper set up. It works great unless are feeding on the bottom. The fish are almost always on the bottom in the places that I usually fish, though, so the nymph and indicator rig gets used a lot more.

MSP
05-15-2007, 05:42 PM
I just don't fish for spooky fish. I give up and fish for Shad! :shock:

sculpin
05-15-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm with Msp. All I can catch are stupid fish anyway. I sure wish we had Shad closer to home. If you don't need to get a lot of distance, try high sticking.

Mark