PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake & Frenchman's Lake getting started.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I just got this email report from Davis Lake resident pro Don Rotsma:

__________________________________________________ ___________

Hi Bill, fishing at both Frenchman’s and Davis is good right now.

Frenchman’s Lake is producing a lot of trout averaging from 14 to 16 inches with some larger fish mixed in. Midge hatches are good in the evening and occasionally during the day. Damsels are starting to move with a few hatching daily. By Memorial Week end, the damsel hatch should be going good. Many of the fish have a lot of damsels in their stomach. Buggers, weighted dark nymphs and Sheep Creek Specials are also producing well. The west side has been best, but anglers are catching fish all around the lake. This is the place for new fly anglers to catch lots of fish and have a great time. 20 plus fish is a good average for anglers working all day. Floating lines are best with a back up of an intermediate for those who want to “troll” with their float tubes. Most fish are in the 2 to 10 foot depths, but will move up for emerging midges and chase damsels and attractors.

Davis Lake has mixed results, with good anglers catching 3 or more fish averaging over 18 inches in an a morning and short afternoon. Lots of fish being taken on midge larvae fished under indicators from 3 to 10 feet deep. Just like Frenchman’s, most the fish have lots of damsels in their stomachs and there are a few hatching during the day. I think the damsel hatch will be going full blast by June 1st! For the first time in a couple of years, there are a good number of blood midges hatching in the evening and in spots during the morning. We have been having some great dry fly fun using my blood midge emerger patterns in 14s and 12s the last hour of light. They can check out the midge page for tying directions on my site. The damsel nymphs we have seen are large and dark olive. Size 10 patterns in black or dark olive should work if fished very slowly on intermediate lines. The lake is about 3 feet lower than normal for the last few years and the weeds and warming water temps should provide some great fly fishing this season.

Terry Thomas
05-14-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm sure they will continue to draw Davis down all summer in anticipation of the Sep. poisoning. We are heading to Davis next Monday. Will post a report.
T.

jayclarkflyfishing
05-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Just spent the past 3 days at Davis.Fishing was very slow although I did manage to get a few on a blood midge adult.When the wind came up the hatches died as well as the fishing.Heard reports of some pike being caught but we didn't catch any.There doesn't seem to be many trout left in the lake.Look for actively feeding fish and target them.Good luck!
Jay

Terry Thomas
05-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks Jay. We are going to focus on the pike. Hope some of those big boys are in the shallows. I guess the new regs. require the angler to kill and place the pike back into the lake. They are no longer collecting them at the ramp and two stores in town.
T.