PDA

View Full Version : "GAS OUT" TUESDAY MAY 15th

jhaquett
05-12-2007, 06:02 PM
We are being told that gas prices are going to top $4 in California this summer. That means a lot less driving, which means a lot less fishing, which is how I decided this was appropriate to put in the forum! :lol: 8)

Next Tuesday, May 15th there is a coordinated "gas out". Myspace started the whole thing, now it has kind of spread through the work of college students and internet users across the nation. Basically, don't get gas on Tuesday May 15th, its as easy as that! 8) 8)

There was a coordinated gas out a few years ago (don't know if you guys remember or not), and gas prices lowered 30 cents in 2 days :wink: :wink: . Its worth a shot and you can probably set yourself up to get gas on Monday or Wednesday, so why not? :)

jhaquett
05-12-2007, 06:03 PM
By the way please spread the word the best you can! :D

alaskanfish
05-12-2007, 07:25 PM
As a guide in Alaska, the fuel prices definitely effecty my bottom line... air fare goes up, freight goes up which raises the price of bait, tackle, supplies, food, etc. So it gets more expensive for the average person to get to Alaska and afford to pay me for guided fishing when they get here.

I must say however, that if you simply don't buy gas on Tuesday, rather load up on Monday or Wednesday, and yet your consumption really doesn't change, then the demand doesn't change, whench means that the price won't significantly change... The only person we are hurting is the gas station owners, who really don't control the prices.

So, my suggestion is to make a concerted effort to reduce fuel consumption on Tuesday, thus reducing the demand, thus causing a real effect against the exhorbitant profits of the oil giants...

JT
05-12-2007, 11:41 PM
I've heard others propose a boycott on bigger oil companies like Exxon. If everyone stopped using Exxon gas, they would have to lower their prices to attract more customers. In order to compete, the other companies would have to lower their prices as well. Did anyone see Exxon's record-breaking profits last year? It's ridiculous! And it's only going to get worse.

justinbailie
05-13-2007, 09:38 AM
or you could just run bio-diesel and not support any of the oil companies. not that i have made the switch (yet) and that this is the end all solution, but it will definitely make a much bigger difference than not buying gas for 1 day. as a photographer that travels a lot, it affects me quite a bit, but personally, i feel like high gas prices are the only thing that are going to make people get off the oil addiction and start creating the demand for vehicles that run off something more environmentally sound and that logically makes sense. i am not in any way trying to start any political, heated conversations, i would just think as fisherman(women), we as much as anyone should make the effort to help our struggling rivers, lakes and oceans...earth.

i guarantee that if the most brilliant engineering minds on this earth had the money that has been spent over the last 25 years to keep the oil industry and combustion engine going directed their way and it was used to design something different, we'd all be pulling the "car / truck" into the drivway and recharging for the next trip at i am sure a totally reasonable cost.

wow, i am pretty environmental, but don't own a soap box. sorry if this bugs anyone, but it just seems like a no brainer. get rid of or change the demand, and the car makers will change too.

hope everyone is good! i've moved back up to tahoe and am fishing at least every other day...and it is good!! (see image)

live well!!

Justin

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p125/justinbailie/ND9E0976lowres.jpg

David Lee
05-13-2007, 10:02 AM
or you could just run bio-diesel and not support any of the oil companies. not that i have made the switch (yet) and that this is the end all solution, but it will definitely make a much bigger difference than not buying gas for 1 day.

sorry if this bugs anyone, but it just seems like a no brainer. get rid of or change the demand, and the car makers will change too.

Justin -

I don't think anyone could say that better .

The sad fact is ..... the oil companies/auto industry are multi-billion dollar earners - greed rules the day in this world and I doubt that anyone involved in those industries will ever do 'the right thing' if it cuts into their bottom line -$$$$$$$$$$$

Pretty sad that few care about the future , or the present . I hope that when the end comes ..... whatever the few humans left evolve into can have a little more foresight and common sense than WE did .

Depressing stuff .

David :(

justinbailie
05-13-2007, 10:20 AM
or david we can be psyched about the fact the being "green" is getting to be so mainstream right now and who knows, maybe the momentum will shift. seems like it is a little bit. hopefully it won't just fade away.

on another note, i think we met a year or two ago down at the watt riffle. can't be sure. think i was leaving and you were just showing up. anyway, drop me a line if you're ever headed up to the tahoe area to fish. always excited to get out.

adios!

Justin
http://www.justinbailie.com

jhaquett
05-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey get gas if you want on Tuesday but the bottom line is that participating in things like this will help to change you over to a person who will spend extra money or take extra time to do things that are better for the world around you. It starts by participating in a gas out and results with buying a prius or similar vehicle and parking the F-350 or whatever the hell pointless gas (or diesel, even worse) guzzling trucks so many people are cruising around town. Being part of the solution is infectious, which I why I feel its important to start being involved in little things like this.

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Next Tuesday, May 15th there is a coordinated "gas out". Myspace started the whole thing, now it has kind of spread through the work of college students and internet users across the nation. Basically, don't get gas on Tuesday May 15th, its as easy as that!

Just FYI-Myspace didn't start this :? ... See the link below.

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/exxon.html

This has been going on for years...

jhaquett
05-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Whatever it doesn't matter who started it, a friend told me about it so I just passed it on the way that I was told. :wink:

aaron
05-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Although it's a nice idea it's never going to work. I think it would be more productive if people looked into adapting tools such as the eco-system http://www.ecosystemsupport.com/ to their cars in order to clean up their emissions and improve their gas mileage.

jhaquett
05-14-2007, 07:40 PM
It has worked in the past and it shows the general publics ability to come together against politicians and big oil companies. Yea its stupid and its not going to do anything directly but indirectly it could convince thousands of people to become more efficient. Very small efforts can convince people to do big things. 15 second commercials, billboards, ads around town, they all help to convince a change.

Carl, everything is politics and you have to play them to win them. This has worked in the past, the bottom line is that it is not going to hurt a single thing, so why not try it?

jhaquett
05-14-2007, 07:45 PM
aaron,

Do you have the Eco-system on your car? It looks interesting.

aaron
05-14-2007, 08:02 PM
No it is fairly new so I would wait a while to see if there are any adverse effects or accelerated wear on the engine.

Digger
05-15-2007, 09:52 AM
OK

1st, crude oil trades on the NY Mercantile Exch everyday and the price settles on a monthly basis.

2nd, gas prices (like oil) trades similarly, and remember that both commodities trade in U.S. currency, which has steadily declined in value relative to other currency.

3rd, Traders do not care what your personal habits are for one day or another. They speculate/trade in order to make money, that is their job. Anyone telling you one day will change anything is jerking your chain.

4th, at this point in time, refineries are the bottleneck in the process that begins from drilling for oil to pumping gas into your tank. When the driving season (spring/summer) rolls around every year the demand will tax the refining capacity to the extent that supply drops. Economics 101 supply vs demand.

5th, 'bio-whatever' will not make enough of a dent in our demand to change anything. And, it is more expensive to create than petroleum. Think of all the water and fertilizer to grow it, effort to harvest, transport and turn into fuel. Ethanol (as an example) is very corrosive, absorbs water and yields very poor mileage. That's not the answer.

6th, gas prices are NOT out of line if you look at RELATIVE prices to goods or commodities we've regularly purchased over the decades. How much did the avg car cost 40 yrs ago? The avg house? Why is my girlfriend paying $3.50 for Starbucks everyday when coffee used to be 25 cents a cup?

Mike O
05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

and as far as "the last gas out caused prices to drop by xx cents" refrain, see this:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

c'mon....we all know that gas as a product has an inelastic demand. Unless we all choose to "break the chain" by carpooling EVERYWHERE, not just to work, this isn't going to stop. How many of y'all are going fishing this weekend? how many of y'all can take someone else who may be (or want to be) going to the same spot (not your fishn' buddy)?

as far as the chain letters go....it is a good idea, but only if people make a chainge.

Digger
05-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Sorry, I just filled my 15 mpg, 6L/V-8 Denali.

I'll try next year. :roll:

jhaquett
05-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Not sure what the point of you going off was Digger. You're part of the problem...good for you. I'm not a guy that cares about money, I thought the gas out was interesting and thought it would be fun to try and pass the word around. Thats it. I wasn't looking for any argument as to why we should do it or not. I, personally, am an environmentalist and will pay extra money for products like bio-diesel and ethanol. If you want to spend $80 to fill up a vehicle that you simply don't need for regular commute then good for you, I couldn't care less about your money, its your emissions and the pollution from the refineries creating all of that wasted gas for you. If you have a Denali and you use it for towing a large trailer or something that you actually need that much power for that's great, other than that you don't need to drive that and its the over usage of gas that concerns me.

Digger
05-17-2007, 01:40 PM
We are being told that gas prices are going to top $4 in California this summer. That means a lot less driving, which means a lot less fishing, which is how I decided this was appropriate to put in the forum! :lol: 8)

Next Tuesday, May 15th there is a coordinated "gas out". Myspace started the whole thing, now it has kind of spread through the work of college students and internet users across the nation. Basically, don't get gas on Tuesday May 15th, its as easy as that! 8) 8)

There was a coordinated gas out a few years ago (don't know if you guys remember or not), and gas prices lowered 30 cents in 2 days :wink: :wink: . Its worth a shot and you can probably set yourself up to get gas on Monday or Wednesday, so why not? :)

Did I mis-read your originating post? Seems to indicate a financial issue, not environmental which you now claim. :?

jhaquett
05-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I said I would pay more for environmentally beneficial product...I don't want to pay $4 a gallon for piece of sh** gas. You know that the situation is bad when I am a 21 year old (just turned, so I've been driving for only 5 years) and I can remember filling up my Honda for $16, and now it costs $28. Crazy. Of course I care about money, gasoline is a product that doesn't cost what we are paying for it....bottom line. I never like getting the raw end of the deal.

After its all said and done, I'm sorry I posted something you don't agree with, just thought it was a fun idea. Maybe I'll stick to telling people who like to experiment next time....my bad.

sculpin
05-17-2007, 05:44 PM
jhaquett
I can remember when gas was $.22 a gallon. I'm sure others can remember cheaper prices. It's all relative.

Mark

Digger
05-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I said I would pay more for environmentally beneficial product...I don't want to pay $4 a gallon for piece of sh** gas. You know that the situation is bad when I am a 21 year old (just turned, so I've been driving for only 5 years) and I can remember filling up my Honda for $16, and now it costs $28. Crazy. Of course I care about money, gasoline is a product that doesn't cost what we are paying for it....bottom line. I never like getting the raw end of the deal.

After its all said and done, I'm sorry I posted something you don't agree with, just thought it was a fun idea. Maybe I'll stick to telling people who like to experiment next time....my bad.

I don't know what's to be sorry about. The whole purpose of a bulletin board/forum/blog etc., is to put something out there and have a back and forth conversation. You can post anything you want (as long as the head man in charge allows) What you have to realize is not every one is of like mind and you need to be able to handle the rebuttals without taking or making any of it PERSONAL.

As far as all this goes, every one of us are to blame. I'm tired of all our collective whining about everything that just isn't right with the world. We and the rest of the world got addicted to internal combustion engined cars. The freedom of driving anywhere, anytime. In Europe the're paying $6-7 per gal. and we're complaining?! And yet we blame BIG OIL for all this, or the BIG AUTO makers. And now we have China and India exploding economically with huge populations that have exacerbated the growing use of oil. The plain fact is we like driving our cars and it is an inconvenience to do otherwise.
Sure some of us will be P.C. or take the moral hi ground or do the trendy-thing and save the planet. I'm not one of those to rally around the base of a giant sequoia, holding hands while signing Kum-by-yah for this cause (or most any other) so I merely pointed out the factual reasons that this was a waste of bandwidth. But, whatever floats your boat. . . as soon as prices receed (and they will) it will all fall on the back burner once again.
And that my friends is "The Inconvenient Truth".

Oh how I long for the days when this was a pure fly-fishing board. We never use to have these types of threads, did we? And, what's with the tenor of the forum lately? Seems a few of us are taking things a bit too seriously of late (myself included). We use to have some good banter and chain jerking, but not much more than that.

Digger
05-17-2007, 09:39 PM

I don't know what's to be sorry about. The whole purpose of a bulletin board/forum/blog etc., is to put something out there and have a back and forth conversation. You can post anything you want (as long as the head man in charge allows) What you have to realize is not every one is of like mind and you need to be able to handle the rebuttals without taking or making any of it PERSONAL.

As far as all this goes, every one of us are to blame. I'm tired of all our collective whining about everything that just isn't right with the world. We and the rest of the world got addicted to internal combustion engined cars. The freedom of driving anywhere, anytime. In Europe the're paying $6-7 per gal. and we're complaining?! And yet we blame BIG OIL for all this, or the BIG AUTO makers. And now we have China and India exploding economically with huge populations that have exacerbated the growing use of oil. The plain fact is we like driving our cars and it is an inconvenience to do otherwise.
Sure some of us will be P.C. or take the moral hi ground or do the trendy-thing and save the planet. I'm not one of those to rally around the base of a giant sequoia, holding hands while signing Kum-by-yah for this cause (or most any other) so I merely pointed out the factual reasons that this was a waste of bandwidth. But, whatever floats your boat. . . as soon as prices receed (and they will) it will all fall on the back burner once again.
And that my friends is "the inconvenient truth" (according to Digger)

Oh how I long for the days when this was a pure fly-fishing board. We never use to have these types of threads, did we? And, what's with the tenor of the forum lately? Seems a few of us are taking things a bit too seriously of late (myself included). We use to have some good banter and chain jerking, but not much more than that.

David Lee
05-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Relax .......

Deep breath , we're OK .

Actually ..... I have the cure - let's all go fishing :idea:

David :D

(Carl - 'whackos' ?!? ..... GOODNESS !!)

Wednesday Caster
05-18-2007, 05:02 AM
There is no "Truth" in politics. It's all about funding.

Don't have much wisdom here but recently read this...
"Read over your compositions, and wherever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out." Samuel Johnson(1709 - 1784)

jbird
05-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Digger

Amen! Excellent post!

Jay

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-18-2007, 09:13 AM
I dunno about all you guys :roll: , but I'M going fishin' tonight through the weekend! 8) Woo Hoo. Paul and I will post a report when we get home... :D

Robin

P.S. David, your posts crack me up! :lol: :D

PaulC
05-18-2007, 06:23 PM
This guy has the solution to all of our car problems.
Okay his aerodynamic engineering could use a bit of fine tuning, but hey...nobody's perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpUMSarCSQw
-Paul

jhaquett
05-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Digger you're completely right. If I had known that I would have had a negative response I never would have put it on the forum. Honestly did it to let anyone know who wanted to support it. I meant for minimal political involvment. My apologies.....won't happen again

Don't want to be considered one of those "whackos", right Carl :roll:

Digger
05-19-2007, 06:30 PM
It's all good . . . 8)