PDA

View Full Version : New Shad Report 3/10

Tony Buzolich
05-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Last night we hit the Feather again for stripers but instead found quite a few folks fishing shad. One boat which was anchored had three fellows in it with non-stop action the whole time we were there. This was right at Shanghai Bend. Other people were fishing them from the bank as well all using small jigs in either chartruese or white.

At our club meeting(E.C.Powell Fly Fishers) there were reports from members already taking shad at Hallwood but still very few. Most are piling up at Shanghai.

The water below the falls at Shanghai is deep and fast but can be fished with a light rod (6w.) using amnesia :x (yes, I hate the stuff too but it has its purpose) and a head of T-8 which should get it down. You might use T-14 or LC-13 with a heavier rod but that kind of take the sport out of it.

Almost all of the shad taken were small males (striper candy :P ) so this is just the start of the run.

We also saw thousands of salmon smolt scattering and flickering the surface everywhere. Birds were diving, herons and egrets were running the shore picking up dinner.

A few days ago F&G was also dumping smolt at Boyd's Pump, and with all of this food supply in the river it's no wonder the striper bite might be a little slow ,,,,, THey're FULL of smolt and shad. It could also be that the water is 69 degrees and a lot of them have already spawned.

There is always a resident population of stripers that don't leave after spawning just like on the American. These guys (gals) will feed at dark and all night long. It's about time to start throwing poppers under the moonlight.

If any of you are up Yuba City way, stop in at Johnson's and say Hi.

TONY

JerryInLodi
05-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Is there anywhere where wading for shad is possible right now? Mouth of the Feather at Verona?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks Tony,
Sounds like there is plenty of "protein" in the lower Feather River.

Jerry,
Old Joe Shirshac told me he was going to wade at the mouth of the Feather River , maybe today, for Stripers and maybe Shad too?

JerryInLodi
05-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Bill, if he does and it's ok with him, could you post a report? Thanks.

Tony Buzolich
05-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I've got one really good customer that has been knocking the stripers at Verona before daybreak and then fishing shad later in the morning.

This is a perfect time to do both.

Doc Cedar and some of his friends have been using two flies at once and fishing for both. They tie on a normal striper fly and then add a shad fly dropper.
TONY

Ed Wahl
05-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Tony, I just changed delivery routes, now I'm up your way 3 days a week, if I can I'll stop by and visit. Ed

Tony Buzolich
05-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Great Ed,

You're welcome anytime. I'm on the water M-T-W and at the shop the rest of the week.
TONY