PDA

View Full Version : Spring Creek

Rob
05-09-2007, 07:56 PM
I had only one shot before it started raining like crazy and i am surprised that it was sharp at all , because my tripod was sitting in the creek and I could feel it vibrating. :shock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Best%20Pics/IMG_0005.jpg

bolden
05-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Very nice shot.

Which lens was that, 50mm or kit?

jbird
05-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Wow! Thats beauteeeeful! Looks like a wall mural in a dentist office :D

Keep em comin!

Jay

Rob
05-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Very nice shot.

Which lens was that, 50mm or kit?

It was the kit lens . Some of photos with the kit lens have turned out OK .
I guess I need to find out what F stop works best at various 18 - 55mm.
I know some lenses have a sweet spot that they work the best at.

This flower with snow in the middle was taken with the kit lens.

Adam Grace
05-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Rob, what would you say that the sweet spot is on the 18-55mm kit lens?

Rob
05-10-2007, 05:31 PM

I have no Idea !!!! :shock: :shock:

I need to start keeping track on the F stops and shutter speed and such.

Do you know if there is away of saving all the info from you camera , for each photo? When you save it to you computer !! :?: :idea:

BillPu
05-10-2007, 07:55 PM

Do you know if there is away of saving all the info from you camera , for each photo? When you save it to you computer !! :?: :idea:

Rob,

In the new cameras the information is stored with each shot. You just need a program to read the exif data. I use Opanda's IExif. It's freeware and works real well. Here's the link:

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Do you normally shoot in JPeg or RAW?

Bill

Rob
05-11-2007, 07:56 AM

Rob,

In the new cameras the information is stored with each shot. You just need a program to read the exif data. I use Opanda's IExif. It's freeware and works real well. Here's the link:

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Do you normally shoot in JPeg or RAW?

Bill

I have tried Raw , but when I try to find them in photo-shop they seem to have been converted to Jpeg . I plug my memory card into my scanner . Do you think my scanner is converting them automatically to Jpeg ??

BillPu
05-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Rob,

I don't know what your scanner might be doing. It sounds kind of strange. Have you tried transferring the images driectly to your PC from the camera?

As for Photoshop, I don't think it would automatically convert your images to JPeg. I use a RAW conversion program called Capture One LE from Pbase. I got it free after buying a 2 GB CF card from Sandisk. They have a special promo where you buy the card and it comes with a software activation key for Capture One. So basically you get a $80 RAW converter for free.

Here's a link to a post on Dpreview.com about this promo:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=19885053

I initially shot in JPeg but after trying RAW, I'm a convert to the RAW world. It allows me to shoot and not be too concerned with having the exact settings needed for the shot. I can easily fix things afterwards. I shoot my daughters and they don't offer me the ability to meter, compose or judge the WB in time. So I shoot quickly and adjust later. Plus the changes are non-destructive so I can go back to the original RAW image even after making many adjustments. JPeg degrades after a few adjustments.

Bill

Rob
05-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Rob,

I don't know what your scanner might be doing. It sounds kind of strange. Have you tried transferring the images driectly to your PC from the camera?

As for Photoshop, I don't think it would automatically convert your images to JPeg. I use a RAW conversion program called Capture One LE from Pbase. I got it free after buying a 2 GB CF card from Sandisk. They have a special promo where you buy the card and it comes with a software activation key for Capture One. So basically you get a $80 RAW converter for free.

Here's a link to a post on Dpreview.com about this promo:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=19885053

I initially shot in JPeg but after trying RAW, I'm a convert to the RAW world. It allows me to shoot and not be too concerned with having the exact settings needed for the shot. I can easily fix things afterwards. I shoot my daughters and they don't offer me the ability to meter, compose or judge the WB in time. So I shoot quickly and adjust later. Plus the changes are non-destructive so I can go back to the original RAW image even after making many adjustments. JPeg degrades after a few adjustments.

Bill

I will try loading from my camera into my PC.
Then open them with photo shop. I think( Nikon view) in transferring them to (my pictures) and converting them to Jpeg .
:?: :?: I would like to join the Dpreview.com forum but need a new e-mail account they will not allow yahoo !!
Thank you-
RobK.

BillPu
05-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Rob,

I have Nikon View 6 that I used before getting a dedicated memory card reader. Nikon View won't change your images from NEF to JPeg. You would need to open the Nikon Editor tool or another editor and actually convert your RAW or NEF file to JPeg.

I didn't realize that you had a Nikon. Nikon View will also give you the exif data you mentioned in the first post.

Also, if you haven't done so already, visit the Nikonian forum for great information. I found the Nikonians to be a little more easy going as compared to DPreview. :D

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

Bill

Rob
05-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Rob,

I
I didn't realize that you had a Nikon. Nikon View will also give you the exif data you mentioned in the first post.

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

Bill\

I actually have a nikon and a canon 20d .

The 20d is my new camera that I WAS :D having trouble doing RAW.
Nikon View was reading my card the minute I put it into my scanner and sending my picture in Internet explorer. in Jpeg . So if I block nikon View from sending them , and open Canon EOS viewer they will be there in Raw and I can send them to photo shop then save them in RAW/TIFF .

Thank You VERY much for you help !!!!
RobK.

Rob
05-16-2007, 11:01 AM

Here is a site that shows photos from a lens at different f stops to see which fstop is the best. This lens , it looks like 5.6 is the sharpest.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50-comparison/f-stops.htm

Adam Grace
05-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Rob, just sign up for a hotmail e-mail account, it's free and you can use it for dpreview.com.

Thanks for the info about the kit lens.

Rob
05-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Rob, just sign up for a hotmail e-mail account, it's free and you can use it for dpreview.com.

Thanks for the info about the kit lens.

They don't allow Hot-mail ether !! ( darn !!! ) :twisted:

I just registered and got this notice !!

There were the following problems with your registration:
Registration with web based email accounts (such as hotmail.com or yahoo.com) is not allowed, please use an ISP account :roll:

Rob
05-24-2007, 12:25 AM

Did a little research on the web and found a test/review for each lens I have.

The kit lens ( 18- 55 ) quality is best from 18 mm - 28 mm@ f8 and 28 -55 mm best at f11.

My 50mm 1.8 II is good from 2.8 to f.8 with 5.6 being the best .

I will have to check it out !!

Adam Grace
05-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks Rob, have fun playing with your new lens.

Rob
05-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks Rob, have fun playing with your new lens.

Adam

were did you get the fish in you avatar ??

Adam Grace
05-24-2007, 10:27 PM
On the Trinity this past fall, thanks to Mike (MSP)! I caught five or six with my spey rod in about 2 hours, the best steelheading trip of my life.

Rob
05-25-2007, 11:25 PM
On the Trinity this past fall, thanks to Mike (MSP)! I caught five or six with my spey rod in about 2 hours, the best steelheading trip of my life.

5 or 6 in two hrs , :shock: is GREAT steelhead fishing. :D
The one and only time I went to the trinity I caught one and just about froze to death in the process . Boy was it cold !!!!!!!