PDA

View Full Version : Alaska needs us......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-09-2007, 08:52 AM
I just got this forwarded from Dan Blanton:

__________________________________________________ _________

Hi all.

Please consider signing this petition. It's easy and only takes a minute.

Thanks

Mike

__________________________________________________ _________

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:32 PM
To: Matica, Michael
Subject: Your Help Needed - Bristol Bay Mining Campaign

__________________________________________________ __________

Greetings fishing club leaders,

Over the early months of 2007, the Sportsman's Alliance for Alaska attended 11 fly fishing shows across the country visiting with countless avid anglers. Several thousand conservation-minded anglers signed the Fly Fishing Petition for Bristol Bay which is now available online at http://www.sportsmansalliance4ak.org/FlyFishingPetition_BristolBay.html.
Please forward this message to all of your fishing friends so they can become involved too. If each one of you asks a couple friends, we can easily add thousands more anglers in support of Bristol Bay's renewable resources.

Individual anglers such as yourself are being joined by the American Fly Fishing Trade Association (AFFTA) and over 40 of its member companies, Trout Unlimited, the Federation of Fly Fishers, commercial fishermen and organizations, native villages in the region, and others in the campaign to keep Bristol Bay from being developed into a massive mining district, anchored by the proposed Pebble Mine project located north and east of Lake Iliamna. A major strength of this campaign is the diversity of individuals and groups standing up and stating "No Mines in Bristol Bay."

Things you can do:

1) Encourage all of your fishing friends and fellow club members
to sign the Fly Fishing Petition for Bristol Bay online. http://www.sportsmansalliance4ak.org/FlyFishingPetition_BristolBay.html
2) Visit www.tu.org/bristolbay <http://www.tu.org/bristolbay> and
click on the "New Project" to learn about RED Gold: The Southwest Alaska Salmon Treasure. The award-winning fly fishing filmmakers at FeltSoul Media are spending two months in Alaska this summer to produce a documentary on Bristol Bay's world renowned fisheries and pristine waters, focusing on the mining development that threatens these critical resources. This project needs your support!
3) Visit www.sportsmansalliance4ak.org
<http://www.sportsmansalliance4ak.org/> to learn more about the threat to Bristol Bay. You can view the AFFTA industry support ad that has run in most of the major fly fishing publications under the "Latest News" tab, and you can join the Sportsman's Alliance for Alaska by clicking the "Join Us" tab. There is no cost to join, however you will be kept up to date on Alaska issues of importance to sportspersons. Presently, the Sportsman's Alliance for Alaska is working on the Bristol Bay campaign and the efforts to protect the remaining highly productive watersheds of the Tongass National Forest in Southeast Alaska.
4) If you are ever in need of newsletter content, please let me
know and I'd be happy to provide an article of whatever length you desire.

Again, thank you for taking action to keep mining out of Bristol Bay. Please forward this message to your friends to make the campaign even stronger.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

With sincere gratitude,

Scott Hed
Outreach Director
Sportsman's Alliance for Alaska
(605) 336-6738 office
scott@sportsmansalliance4ak.org

Adam Grace
05-09-2007, 04:40 PM
It only takes ONE minute to fill out this petition to help preserve all that Alaska's wilderness has to offer sportsmen like ourselves. Make your voices heard.

jhaquett
05-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Took me literally 20 seconds to bring up the link, fill out the information and send it away!

SteelieD
05-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Do it now. It's easy. The devastation to this beautiful resource is scary.