PDA

View Full Version : Upper McCloud Redband?Opening Day Weekend-Heritage Challenge

Ueyama
05-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I am attempting the California Heritage Trout Challenge with my buddy, but am in need of some help. Can you let me know if the following fish are redbands? Any words of advice for the challenge with locations on the specific rivers and/or flies would be helpful. I appreciate everyone's time to reply. Thanks a million.
PS. I am not good with cameras. I know how to turn one on and press the button. My pictures are pretty bad in comparison others that are posting.
Mike

PICTURE 1 - Upper McCloud - My buddy's fish
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ueyama/UpperMcCloudRedbandMichael.jpg

PICTURE 2 - Upper McCloud - My fish
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ueyama/UpperMcCloudRedbandMike.jpg

PICTURE 3 - Lower McCloud - Is it possible that this is a redband or hybrid?
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ueyama/McCloud.jpg

Thanks again to everyone.

windknot
05-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Not sure what the stocking practices on the McCloud are but I think that rainbows in the Upper are considered McCloud redbands.

Lahontan cutthroats have been reintroduced into part of their native drainage in the headwaters of the Truckee, which is accessible by a short hike from either hwy 88 or hwy 89. Kern rainbows, Little Kern goldens, and Volcano Creek goldens are all native to streams of the Kern drainage east of Bakersfield. Warner and Goose Lake redbands are native to those drainages in the northeastern corner of California. Coastal cutts can be found in a few northern coastal river drainages, and coastal rainbows are native to the entire Sacramento and San Joaquin drainages, as well as every coastal Californian stream.

If you go to the DFG site they have some background info on the different strains of trout native to California and a comprehensive outline of which drainages count for the heritage trout challenge. Hope this helps and good luck!

Ueyama
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Tristan,
I appreciate the help. Looks like my buddy and I are going to have to make another trip in a few weeks. My buddy will be bummed.

Mike

windknot
05-10-2007, 12:24 AM
That job with the DFG wild trout project sounds really interesting. Is it restricted by major/background? Wondering if UCD still has a wildlife and fisheries biology major, since my dad worked with Moyle twenty-five years ago when he was doing his undergrad at Davis.

windknot
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks Tristan. Looks like I'm inquiring a couple years too early, although it definitely sounds like something I'd like to do.

Ueyama
05-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Hey Trisan,

A fellow Davisite. Sorry to say that I am not part of Davis Flyfishers. I know they meet at the Jr. High on the last Tuesay of the month. Been busy and hopefully will try to get there soon. I am member of CFFU out of Sacramento, though.

For the costal cutts, I heard there in the Smith, maybe the South Fork, but I am going to shoot for a place called Little Jones Creek. I have no clue where it is but that was the word.

Mike

Digger
05-15-2007, 08:23 AM
One of the best references to have on hand for these types of identification is "Trout and Salmon of North America" by Robert Behnke.
This is a recent book (2002) that provides a good amount of information of the various species/sub-species including historical and biological details.

Some of his descriptions on the O.M. Stonei, aka redband rainbow trout of northern Sacramento drainage which are lacking in your photos; orange and white tip on the dorsal, fewer spots below the lateral line and the red slash typical to cutthroats.