PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Bass and Lake Shasta...

Mike McKenzie
05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Just got back from a week of houseboatin' and fishin' on Shasta. It was our 25th year of draggin' our boats around with the houseboat lookin' like a mother hen with a bunch of chicks. In spite of the weather that was tossed at us by mother nature, (started out nice, sunny and warm with 65-66 degree water, then came the cold, wind and rain with water temps droppin' to 57-58 degrees) we had some of the best fishin' in the last 5 years. With the trout on top the trollers among us were draggin' Rapala Countdowns (in RBT) around 75' behind their boat and caught no end of trout from 1 to 4 lbs and with the downriggers they got some nice Kings to 5 lbs or so. The Bass fishin' was also pretty darn good with the usual stuff they use, crank baits and plastic.

As I'm the only fly fisher on the boat (It's a sacrifice I make every year just to be with my long time workin' buddies :) ) I sometimes feel pretty lonesome! Over the years my fishin' partner and I have kinda' worked things out to where he can do his crankin' and wormin' while I fly fish.

Many years ago when we first started this operation we would look forward to some outstanding top water fishin' for smallmouth. Then DFG decided to plant Spotted Bass in the lake and the smallmouth fishery went to hades in a hand cart over the next several years (and still ain't back to its former self yet) Anyway, every year I spend an evening or two vainly lookin' for top water fish with my bass bugs and over the years I've come to the conclusion that Spots never (or rarely at most) "look up" unless they're chasin' a ball of shad!
This year was no different except that I was more determined than ever to get bit on top. I beat the water to a froth for two days for the sum total of two 10" Spots, all while my non fly-fishing boat partner was averaging 10-15 fish an hour fishing with those infernal plastic worms! Not willing to give up the fly rod but wantin' to catch a fish, I changed reel spools and put type IV head with amnesia running line and tied on a Dave Sellers rear weighted deceiver style fly. First cast ..Fish on and I never looked back! Proceeded to "whip the tar" out of my boat partner the rest of the trip!!
Spots averaged 1-3 lbs with the biggest Spot for the trip being a shade under 5lbs on the "Boga", which is a dang fine Spot and unfortunately it wasn't me that caught it! While I think that pound for pound the spots pull harder than smallmouth or largemouth, I find myself longing for the "good ol' days" before they put the spots in the lake! Dang it anyway!!

Did pretty good on trout also, tossin crystal buggers (olive, black and brown, no suprise there!)

The capper was that durin' a downpour on Wednesday evening the Spots came unhinged and went on a non-stop bite..So there we were freezin' our fannys off, soakin' wet and starvin' to death and wantin' to go back to the "mother ship" and eat but the fish wouldn't lets us go!!

This all leaves me with two questions for ya' all.. #1 Why is the catch rate directly proportional to misery?? and #2 Is there anyone out there that knows how to get spotted bass up to the surface in a resevoir without dynamite??

All in all # 25 was another memorable trip!

Mike

flyfshrmn
05-09-2007, 05:45 PM
While I don't know about the spots, I have seen many LMB caught on top in the upper arms by fishermen working the drowned trees and brush, casting surface lures and bugs, fly or crank, whatever your preference. I rarely fish bass at Shasta but have run into large concentrations of them in the McCloud, Squaw Creek and Pit arms. I haven't seen a lot of smallmouth in several years, but did run into a huge school of spawners one year at Ellery Creek and Pine Point right at the boat launch areas. I no longer fish the lake much, due to concentrating more on the Trinity and because it's turned into a real lowlife hotspot on weekends in the campgrounds with people drinking, shooting guns in camp, running generators all night long and other general thoughtless behavior.

Adam Grace
05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Why is the catch rate directly proportional to misery?? :lol:

You are so right about bad weather bringing good fishing. A funny comment that I've always heard and used myself is: "fish don't care if it's raining....they're already wet!" :D

I realize that there are many different weather factors such as barometric pressure, wind, moon phase, light levels, rain and such that may cause the fishing to explode during time of uncomfortable fishing conditions but normally I have found fishing in a freezing rain to be one of the most uncomfortable to me, therefore I feel your pain! :cry:

Ed Wahl
05-10-2007, 05:24 AM
The best Smallmouth fishing I've ever experienced came during an all day rainstorm. Had a brief lull between storms which I used to dry out a little bit, then steady rain til dark. Fishing was crazy good the whole time. About an hour before dark the misery factor caught up with me and I had to start walking out. Never had that kind of luck fishing for trout, they seem to be a bit more civilized about the weather. Ed

lee s.
05-12-2007, 07:35 PM
All right Mike!!!
Wish we had known you were around. Just got off our boat today. Similar trip and, yes, the only fly flinger. That's grand anyway, as no one desires to ride the canoe with us. :lol: Only took one spot on top but he was already chasing minnows at shore very near dark.....almost cheating! :wink:
Could have had you over for our crab feed Wed PM. :roll:
....lee s.

Mike McKenzie
05-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Man! I would'a loved chewin' on some of that Crab :D ..It sure would of beat what we had.."Tacos" with out any seasoning in the meat.. :puke: (the cook "forgot" it) Maybe we can meet up some where next year...

Mike