PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate 12' Native kayak Review

Eugene Graham
05-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I went to California Canoe & Kayak this weekend to take a look at the non Orvis editions of the Ultimate 12' Native kayak. It seamed to be a cross between a canoe and a kayak. It is open like the canoe, but is will turn and paddle as a kayak. The drop down skeg was also impressive, but could cause problems if you like to use a fishing crate. I can see how the stability is increased on the boat, but it will not be near the fastest kayaks though. Since this boat is open like a canoe, I would not want to take it out in the ocean.
The seat is extremely comfortable when I sat in it. I do love how the seat will move up to let you grab a gear bag in the front (I am not able to reach the front hatch in my personal Kayak as it is too far forward in the bow).
California Canoe & Kayak is stating that this is the perfect dog boat (up to about 60 pounds), and I agree. There is a lot of room to bring a four legged friend aboard without worrying about him/her. Even though I have been known to let my border collie ride in my Tarpon 140, I have to be very aware of what she is doing. If you have a dog on any boat, please make sure they have a dog PFD (Personal Floatation Device) on them all times.
The boat was very easy to lift and move. I had no problem getting it off the wall, and carrying it to the ground.
If you are interested in adding fly rod holders, fish finders, ect this should be no problem. It will be a little bit trickier that a standard Sit On Top Kayak, due to stability of the platforms to put it on. Kayak shops should be able to help you install if you are not into drilling holes into your boat (this is easy to do though as long as you follow a few simple rules - please email me if you got questions about this).
I think this would be a great boat for local bass ponds & lakes. It should work well on the American River, but I don't think I would want it on rapids. Stay away from the ocean. I would love to have this as a second kayak, but will not trade in my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140.
I think I will demo this boat this boat on the water soon.
http://www.nativewatercraft.net/ultimate12.html

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-20-2007, 12:00 AM
http://www.nativewatercraft.net/Images/ultimate12lg.png

I went out there today and checked them both out.

They look really good.

They will set up a demo for us so some time in the near future we will do that.

The 12' model is perfect for fishing from in smaller flat water. It is very comfortable to sit in. $775.

The 14' model would be great for two people. Maybe the rear person would position the boat, while the front would cast. $995.