PDA

View Full Version : Sunday was a bad day on the Delta

JerryInLodi
05-07-2007, 09:13 AM
The wind howled on Saturday but was supposed to be manageable on Sunday so I planned to take two clients out, starting at 7am.

The first bad omen was the fact that my temp guage showed that the water temperature had dropped four degrees in the last five days, from 67 down to 63. We thought we might be able to find some warmer water in the sloughs and so headed out of the marina, first to throw some flies at some stripers.

Even though it was early, the wind was blowing hard enough on the main river that I was having a hard time keeping my boat in position. In additon, the water all along the shore was very muddy from the previous day's wind.

We abandoned that drill pretty quick and headed off to SandMound Slough to see if we could get some bass fishing in out of the wind. Once there we found that the water was just as muddy and just as cold as the main river. We tried tossing some poppers and then switched to bluegill patterns. I was having a miserable time keeping the boat positioned although it didn't seem to be blowing that hard.

We stuck one small bass on a bluegill pattern and then the boat wouldn't respond to the trolling motor at all. I tilted up the motor and it wouldn't respond to the remote until I was at half throttle, and even then, no power. My battery meters showed I had plenty of juice.

This was pretty much the third strike, low water temperatures, big wind and now no trolling motor. We ate an early lunch and headed back to the barn. Once we were on the main river and were hitting a few bumps, black liquid started spilling from the trolling motor head, now laying parallel to the deck. Aha, trouble diagnosed, leaking main seal, motor full of water.

I was going to haul the motor in to Sunny's Electric Marine today but I see that they're closed on Mondays. I'll make the drive tomorrow.

Some days are diamonds, and yup, some days are STONES.

Darian
05-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey Jerry,.... Between you and me, Sunny's owners probably don't need any other customers for awhile.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
05-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I hear ya Jerry. I went out for a couple of hours yesterday and experienced the same thing: high winds that made it difficult to manage the kayak and fly fish, and the water temperature was only 64 degrees. Almost no fish activity observable and, other than one hit on the surface (that I missed), nada.

Quite a change from the previous weekend when the fish were definitely more active. Had one really nice fish flush the toilet under my bug near the kayak while I was day dreaming. :shock: She ran to toward me and I couldn't get the slack out of the line quickly enough, so. . . . On another cast, as soon as I moved the bug after letting it sit for a while, a bass from over 10 feet away charged through the weed bed at astonishing speed, creating a v-wake the whole way as he smashed into my bug. Unfortunately, he threw the bug on his first jump completely out of the water. Nice bass too. I thought things were starting to look up until yesterday.

Hopefully, next weekend we'll resume progress again.

sculpin
05-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Sheesh Jerry. Sunday musta been a tough day everywhere. Jbird and I went to Emigrant lake Sunday morning to try for smallmouths. Right off, I went past the turn for the boat ramp and had to back a little. Well, a Gal, in a car, the size of a suit case, got in behind me. I couldn't see her in the mirrors and I put a crease, in her hood, with the prop of the kicker motor. After all the insurance stuff, we managed to fish a while before the wind started howling. Then my electric motor, which is like yours, started konking out. It would go a while and then shut down.If I fiddled with it, it would go and quite again. We did manages 10 to 15 small, smallmouths between us. The size of the fish, fell a little short of what we were hoping for but at least it wasn't a skunk. Jbird did get to break in his new 3wt on the trip.

Mark
PS: Adam, I hope all the grammar errors don't tip your cart over. :D :D
Just throwing a little stuff your way. :D :D

Adam Grace
05-07-2007, 08:30 PM
ThaKns MaRk! :lol: :lol: