PDA

View Full Version : North Island of New Zealand

Langenbeck
05-05-2007, 09:38 PM
On Wednesday depart for 15 days of lake fishing around the town of Rotorua which is about a three hour drive southeast of Auckland. Will concentrate on the three lakes that can produce fish in excess of ten pounds-Okitiana, Tarawera and Rotoiti. This is all wade fishing at night during the dark of the moon with a floating line and a lumo smelt pattern.

This will be my 20th trip to the North Island. Will try to post progress reports from an Internet cafe while in country and will follow up when I get back with a complete report and pictures.

A ten pound fish from last year.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/NZ06-10RainbowatDumpTwo.jpg

David Lee
05-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Have a safe , smooth trip Gordon !!

David :D

Adam Grace
05-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Have a nice trip Gordon.

Langenbeck
05-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Got here a couple days ago. So far fishing has been hard but last night caught and released a very well conditioned eight pound rainbow and this morning caught and released a seven pound rainbow that took me into my backing. Hopefully will get some rain to stir things up.

Hairstacker
05-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Good luck Gordon! Looking forward to hearing more. 8)

Langenbeck
05-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Fishing continues to be hard with a warm fall and virtually no rain to stir things up. Last night hooked and landed a single fish-a real cracker. It was hen rainbow of 10 pounds 14 ounces and was released. I use a NZ formula to determine weight. I take the length, 70 cm. and then estimate the condition factor and then plug the info into the formula. This was my 12th NZ fish of double figures.