PDA

View Full Version : Any Shad reports?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I think they are catching them from anchored boats at the mouth of the Feather River above Verona.

Charlie Gonzales
05-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Im starting to worry that our flows are too low for the American and Yuba. Please tell me Im wrong.

Tony Buzolich
05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Charlie,

They've been taking them at both Verona and at Shanghai Bend but only a few per day. It's still early yet.

Unless we get a lot more water coming down the Feather, the shad will stack up at Shanghai and never make the Yuba. The falls there still have at least a 5'-6' drop and shad and striped bass don't jump like salmon.

Pray for more rain,
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Maybe the "log hole" will be hot this year?

Tony Buzolich
05-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Carl,
that's good if they are doing that but I've always been told they don't.

Have you ever seen them above the dam at Healdsburg or above the dam at Deguierre on the Yuba? Both of these dams have low elevation fish ladders to accomadate the salmon and steelhead but for some reason the shad won't use them.

Maybe by the time they get that far up the river they've had enough swimming :confused:
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-03-2007, 09:00 AM
We were always told that American Shad will not negotiate fish ladders in most cases.

I think that is way we don't get them above Daguerre Dam on the lower Yuba River, which has fish ladders.

I guess they do jump some obstacles because I know that Carl is always spot on when it come to his information, especially his knowledge of the Russian River.

Tony Buzolich
05-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Carl,

That's good enough for me.

Today on the way to work at Johnson's I stopped by the mouth of the Yuba and just watched the gravel/sand bar growing bigger. You can easily walk across 3/4 of the river without getting your knees wet.

What I saw though were fish moving through in spots barely a foot deep. I watched for several minutes but couldn't identify what they were. Had to be either salmon (there's lots of them at the outlet already) or shad.

Now, if these were shad, they had to jump the falls at Shanghai, and with your confirmation that they do jump, it just could be :)

TONY

Jeff C.
05-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Went to Harrington yesterday after work for a little recon. Nothing there and it sure got cold and windy about 6 p.m. I wonder if there has been any action at the Log Hole becaue the Fishsniffer site had a picture of a big hen caught just above Watt on Monday Here's the link:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1178000116/0

mike N
05-05-2007, 12:59 AM
I, for one, am looking forward to shad at the log hole. I sure missed it last year.

MN

A Matthews
05-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I hate to ask this since I consider myself decently knowledgeable about the American (especially the upper stretches)...but where is the log hole? I've heard of it. I wanna say it's by Sac State? Thanks for the help...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-05-2007, 05:20 PM
It's "upper Paradise" and across from the little golf coarse by Hubacker Cadillac.

Just a little downstream from the Fair Oaks/H/J Street bridge by Sac State.

Just below the island.

Charlie Gonzales
05-06-2007, 02:32 AM
AAAAHHHHHHH!!! so much for my secret spot :D

Jeff C.
05-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Went there yeaterday a.m.. No shad there yet. With three spey guys there it was almost a line up. Jeff C.

amoeba
05-07-2007, 09:42 PM
fished the smithereens out of paradise. 64 degree water. no shad seen or hooked.

Charlie Gonzales
05-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Talked to two DFG employees at the Howe boat ramp today that were doing juvie chinook counts......aksed about shad and they stated that they hadnt seen any.....but a good amount of stripes in the lower river.

Bryan Morgan
05-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Talked to a buddy today who floated the lower American. No Shad in sight on the American, and definitely none at the Log Hole yet.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-08-2007, 09:10 PM
I have had several report of them at the mouth of the Feather River, but that's it.