PDA

View Full Version : Dry Creek .

David Lee
05-02-2007, 06:08 PM
I normally don't let the cat out of the bag , so to speak ....

Here's the deal - Dry Creek has problems . Big ones .

When I first started fishing there , the warmwater fish population was great . That was around 1992 .....

After the powers that be decided to build on nearly every square inch of east Roseville , I noticed a dropoff in the fish/insect numbers . In places where there were Mayflies and great Caddis hatches , now the Caddis are rare and the Mayflies are gone . After the UA Olympus Pointe theater was finished being built there seemed to be a instant crash on the Creek just downstream from the huge parking lot - I wonder if there's any kind of 'filter' that should have gone into the drainage system to prevent the runoff from polluting the stream ??

There are a lot of areas within city limits that have a proper greenbelt on both sides of the Creek . In the lower stretches (by the railyard) , there are lots of transients that camp along the water . Most do not use a shovel or follow the 100 yards away from the water rule . Is there any way to force the city/Police to enforce health codes out there ??

I know there is a once-a-year cleanup (Creek Week) - once a year isn't going to solve the problems . I hope no one takes me as a whiner , I just can't figure out how to get anything changed for the better . Any constructive suggestions ??

BTW , there is a fair population of King Salmon that spawn from west Roseville to way past Rocklin . I have seen a few steelhead in the upper reaches , as well .

Any ideas on what else I can do to get the ball rolling ???

David :?

Ed Wahl
05-02-2007, 07:17 PM
All right David Lee! Start the ball rolling. :) Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Maybe this will be the first eco project for the Kiene's BB?

I don't know about this stuff but do we meet with the City of Roseville and CA DF&G.

I think the Feds are working on many small salmon spawning streams.

I heard that the governor said any issue that call for money to be spent need to be axed.

I guess we can get plenty of volunteers and maybe some local businesses?

Ed Wahl
05-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Need some help here guys. Check out my last post in the Warm Water section. David Lee and myself(and anyone else we can get) are getting ready to go to battle for this creek. I need some quick feedback about putting the name right out there like that. Hairstacker's was negative, and I respect his opinion a lot. I need to know right away if I'm out of line putting someone else's home water on the board like that. I don't normally do that kind of thing but it seems like a special need. Quick responses please. Ed

David Lee
05-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Ed -

You are NOT out of line . Time for changes , hopefully for the better .

I need a reporter from the Sac Bee , Sac news and review , and Kurtis Ming ......... Roseville City concil needs to get their act together and do the right thing .

BTW , Thanks Ed for going out of your way - that creek is as much yours as it is mine .

David

jbird
05-28-2007, 10:30 PM
You guys are awesome. You see the greater good. I hope you will keep the board up to date on the developements of Dry Creek. Your actions (and hopefully results) Could trigger a lot more "doing" and and a lot less just "talking about it"

BRAVO!

JAy

Digger
05-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Can anyone make it to a city council meeting?

Usually there are opportunities to get up and speak about issues, and at least it then makes it onto the records. Then you may get some type of response, but keeping up the pressure and persistence will be key.

This link is when the city council meets.

http://www.roseville.ca.us/calendars/city_council_n_commissions.asp

Ed Wahl
05-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks Digger, looks like their meetings are at 7pm. That's very do-able. Looks like Parks and Rec. Com. meeting on Mon the 4th. That's as good a place as any to start. Ed P.S. got a reply from the Dry Creek Conservancy already, a good sign?

xntriq
06-14-2007, 10:35 AM
A week or so ago, I contacted some people I know at Gold Country Media, publishers of the Roseville Press Tribune. A reporter who is interested in doing a story on the problems at Dry Creek emailed me this morning. If you have an experience or information worth passing along, please PM me so I can put you in contact with him.

Thanks.

Greg Nelson

k.hanley
06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I admire your grassroots efforts guys. It all starts with someone saying I want to make a difference. I wish you the best. If my contacts in the environmental field can help you, I'll pass along the info.
With respect, Ken