PDA

View Full Version : Kayak

Rob
05-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I think one of the new kayaks by Orvis would be nice .
It holds one person and looks very stable and has a comfortable seat.

http://www.orvis.com/store/altview_newwindow_prevnext.asp?ProdName=Ultimate+1 2+Native+Watercraft+Kayak&imgname=62R8M7SF_lg.jpg&pagepos=2&dir_id=758&group_id=12436&cat_id=13335&subcat_id=13336&pf_id=62R8&viewtype=15

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2007, 07:35 PM
http://images.orvis.com/orvis_assets//prodimg/62R8M7SF_lg.jpg

I am an Orvis dealer. Maybe they will send us a demo?

Eugene Graham
05-03-2007, 08:59 PM
This kayak was designed by Andy Zimmerman, who founded Wilderness Systems, and sold the company a couple of years ago.

Ed Wahl
05-03-2007, 09:28 PM
No offense to you kayak people, but the text in that photo didn't take prams into account. Oops, just looked at it again, now it's making me laugh, the guys legs are taught as a bowstring, he's working hard to pull that off. Standing up in canoes can be done also, but c'mon, it's not really their forte is it. I will hand it to that guy in the photo, he's got an excellent sense of balance. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Ed

I think I might try to get in one of them on the water.

I think this is something that is really light and if you can stand up in it I might buy one.

Nip Hadlock
05-04-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm surprised by Orvis:

1. The dude should be wearing a PFD. [-X
2. Normally such "glam" shots are reserved for Perk Perkins! :lol: :lol:

Nip Hadlock
05-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Oh...and I'm hoping to buy one late this year when they put them on sale for the winter clearance back in good ole Vermont. :)
I'm going to try and get by Manchester this summer and have a look at one... :wink:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Google "Ultimate 12' Native kayak".

There are dealers in California.

Only thing is that they only charge $775 USD for them.

Nip Hadlock
05-04-2007, 10:39 AM
$775? :?
The Orvis name is meant to be worth about $900? :shock:
Maybe they throw in a Trout Bum bamboo rod? :lol: :lol:

BillPu
05-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Oh...and I'm hoping to buy one late this year when they put them on sale for the winter clearance back in good ole Vermont. :)
I'm going to try and get by Manchester this summer and have a look at one... :wink:

I'll be in Manchester on June 21st for my niece's wedding. I already received a day pass to go over to Orvis. I'll take some pics and post them here.

Bill

Rickey Noel Mitchell
05-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I reviewed one for paddler magazine. Ovis is selling the fiberglass model for about $1600 . It was great as a river craft I didn't like it on open water.
It is quit stable due to a trihull desigh and standiing and casting isn't a great feet. There are several canoe and kayak hybreds on the market. Between Adventure Sports and California Canoe and Kayak right there in Sac you can try any of them which you do before you buy any craft.
Back to the native craft I repeat it's and extremely stable craft. Except for maybe Ed

JayDubP
05-07-2007, 12:43 PM
appears this is not made by Orvis, when I googled I found the site: http://www.nativewatercraft.net/

They state they are the manufacturer & have a couple of other boats, including longer versions of same kayak.

Pictures and descriptions Orvis uses are on this website.

There are dealers in N California.

Ed Wahl
05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Ouch.

dtp916
05-08-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm surprised by Orvis:

1. The dude should be wearing a PFD. [-X
2. Normally such "glam" shots are reserved for Perk Perkins! :lol: :lol:

I bet that water is less that 3 feet deep.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I think stability would be my most important feature in a kayak.

The American River is 90% flat and moving slow especially now with the flow down to 1500 cfs.

I (think) would like a kayak that was small and light for sloughs and small ponds.

Rickey....what should I be looking at?

I know that kayaks can be a lot of things for many different uses.

Rickey Noel Mitchell
05-08-2007, 11:10 AM
The Altura that I had at the Expo's are the best ones for having good control and stability.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/paddle-and-flies/BlackhawkAlturacopy.jpg
Let's go fishing.

Rob
05-14-2007, 05:44 PM
[quote="Ed Wahl"]No offense to you kayak people, but the text in that photo didn't take prams into account. Oops, just looked at it again, now it's making me laugh, the guys legs are taught as a bowstring, he's working hard to pull that off. Standing up in canoes can be done also, but c'mon, it's not really their forte is it. I will hand it to that guy in the photo, he's got an excellent sense of balance. Ed[/quote

You would never catch me standing in a boat that small.!!! :shock:
I have enough trouble on dry land !!! :roll: :oops: