PDA

View Full Version : American River Wildlife

A Matthews
05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
I went out for a long overdue trip to the American last night after work to try my luck for stripers, shad, all of the above....I didn't catch a thing. But the Goethe Park gods couldn't have been totally unhappy with me. I saw a family of beavers swimming around the whole time, an otter attacking fish in the shallows, deer, birds of all kinds....For a minute, I thought I was due to see something I've wanted to see (albeit from a safe distance) for a long time: a mountain lion. That didn't happen. Anyone ever see a mountain lion while fishing along the parkway?

Jgoding
05-02-2007, 08:15 AM
I think I was there the day before they reported the sightings.... I didn't see the lion but I know why they would want to hang around there with all those deer. I checked the spot Saturday and no shad yet..... but I did see some suckers and other "scenery"....

WinterrunRon
05-02-2007, 09:09 AM
I've noticed that there seems to be fewer of one of my favorite critters, the turtles, usually seen on logs sunning themselves. I've only seen a few. There were many last year.

No sign of shad, or eels that I can spot once in a while. Did see a couple of huge stripers but only got a 4lber and under to hand.

Ron

Rob
05-02-2007, 12:16 PM
There was a guy that got in trouble for feeding deer along the American a few years ago. They found a half eaten deer in his back yard that Mr Mountain lion was enjoying. :roll: Very Lucky it was not one of his Kids. :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Wildlife/re-sizedphoto.jpg

JT
05-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Cool picture, Rob.

Speaking of lions, we had quite a few mountain lion sightings in Vallejo about 8 years ago. One day a lion walked through an elementary school playground just before school was to get out.