PDA

View Full Version : Tag Teamed the Truckee Report

SullyTM
05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Board member MSP and myself tackled the Truckee River last Friday. Reports of "bug" activity fueled the trip East. Temps in the low 70's, whisper of a breeze, sunny skies and wet wading conditions were present all day...but the bugs must have been in Reno gambling :lol: Saw a few skwalas, march browns and mayflies but that was it. Ran into a couple of anglers who said that the bugs and fish were out the day before. That's why it's called fishing!! Mike got hammered by an 18" fatty that took a good 10 minuts to land...that was it for the day.

Plenty of snow at the higher elevations, but I imagine that will soon melt off.

All in all a great day on the H2O!

Later...

Eyecatch Tinytrout
05-01-2007, 05:57 PM
I had a similar experience on Thursday. It took me all day to get one small fish on and he let go. But absolutely gorgeous weather.

Matt Frey
05-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Nice report!

I was wondering if the runoff was effecting the water clarity late in day?

Tight lines,
Matt

bigtj
05-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Watch the hydrographs. The peak is at about 1 am in the morning up in Truckee and 8 am here in Reno. I'm seeing the water actually clear in the afternoons down here in Reno, but not that much. The thing that is killing us right now is the snowmelt means really low water temps. Once snowmelt starts to subside the fishing should pick up again.

SullyTM
05-02-2007, 01:39 PM
H2O clarity I thought was decent. You could definitely see the fish even from high up...10-15 feet above the water. I don't have alot of water temp knowledge and I can't tell you how cold the Truckee was where we waded. 50 degrees maybe?

Later...

flyfshrmn
05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I doubt the Truckee was fifty degrees if you were wading wet. The river seems to warm rapidly on sunny days and at low flows. I wade the trinity, dry year round and it runs low 50s and w/o sweats and polypros, your teeth will start chattering after a couple of hours. The few people I've seen wading it wet don't last long - 20-30 minutes and out to shiver on the bank.

bigtj
05-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I've wet waded the San Juan now there is a treat...45 degree water with 100 degree air temps! Personally I have no problem wet wading 50-55 degree water as long as the air temps are in the 80's, I wet waded the McCloud for the opener and the temps were in the low 50's. All depends on the person and how deep you wade. And by the way we haven't seen water temps much above the mid 50's on the Truckee this year, but that is about to change as air temps are hitting the 80's consistently.

As far as runoff on the Truckee goes, here is an update. Runoff has already peaked. Water clarity isn't likely to be much of an issue from here out, short of a thunderstorm. Watch the flows of course but it looks like we aren't going to see flows any higher than what they are right now.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Find a section of the Truckee River that is over 55 degrees and the fish will be on.

With some good size tributaries flowing in this river you can have a half dozen different temperatures at any time.

I would be tempted to fish mid-day from around 10am till 5pm.

When you have a stream that is colder than the fish's comfort range they seem to get more active with the sun on the water.

Going out early and stay out late is usually not worth it in early cold water.

bigtj
05-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Bill is spot on, the best fishing is mid-day right now. However that is likely to change in the next couple weeks. Watch the weather in Reno, as soon as you see 3-4 days in a row in the 90's the evening hatch should be "on". And keep in mind condtions this year are going to be nothing like the past two years.