PDA

View Full Version : Safely examining stomach contents...

jbird
05-01-2007, 07:39 AM
With trout season upon us, I have been thinking of ways to increase the odds of having good days on the water (if I ever get out :lol: :( ) I have always thought about stomach pumping and would like to hear from you guys who do it. Is there a product that is better than others? What is the accepted procedure? It seems it would be hard on the fish, but I know a lot of top guys do it.

Thanks in advance

Jay

Nip Hadlock
05-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Jay;
I was thinking of flashing "Borat" clips from an iPod... :puke: when they're done barfing I could then release them! They might be emotionally scarred but otherwise OK! :lol: :lol:
Nip

jhaquett
05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Talk to someone who has had their stomach pumped with professional medical equipment :shock: . Not pretty, and most times they are drunk to, so their tolerance for pain and discomfort should increase! :?

Rick J
05-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I recall that Brian Chan uses a stomach pump in his video - you do not actually insert all the way into the stomach but just in the upper throat and the way he describes it, it seems to have little adverse impact to the trout.

It may not be all that pleasant to them but hey you have just wrenched them out of their habitat when all they thought they were going to get was a juicy morsel to eat :) - seems if done carefully this would have little additional impact to them

Dave Neal
05-04-2007, 09:37 PM
In regards to the Chan Article... http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ldy/ldy9798.html here's bit.

I just saw this on www.moldychum.com blog. A pretty good blog if you have not checked it out.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea if everyone started pumping fish every time we went out.

That said, I do it occasionally, mostly on Crowley Lake more than the streams. Crowley fish are not starving and I don't feel AS BAD taking out their lunch. :wink: