PDA

View Full Version : Striper count at Knight's Landing on the Sacramento River

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I found this report on Dan Blanton's message board:

__________________________________________________ ___________

Posted by Kyle Murphy on 2007-04-27 15:37:53

Hello Folks,

DFG has been tagging adult striped bass since the late 1960’s as part of a striped bass population study. Data collected allows the DFG to estimate legal-sized striped bass abundance, natural mortality, and harvest rates. These estimates are used to guide the striped bass management.

The tagging operation takes place during the months of April and May. Capture methods used include gill nets deployed from DFG research vessels in the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers, and by the use of fyke traps in the Sacramento River near Knights Landing.

This year’s tagging operation is being conducted with the use of fyke traps only. The traps were set on April 1, 2007 and fishing will continue through the end of May.

The daily catch varies each day, based on the number of traps fished and effort (e.g. the numbers of hours each trap fishes). The catch summaries posted below are approximate as this is data reported from the field.

The data summary posted below is for catch from April 1-26, 2007. I should begin receiving catch updates from the field crew twice a week and I will try to update this post with those additional catch summaries as they become available.

Date; legal striped bass observed; number of traps

4/2 ; 7; 6
4/3 ; 22 ; 8
4/5 ; 115 ;8
4/7 ; 155 ;8
4/8 ; 114 ; 8
4/9 ; 253 ; 8
4/10 ; 245 ; 8
4/12 ; 503 ;8
4/14 ; 232 ; 8
4/15 ; 115 ; 8
4/16 ; 98 ; 8
4/17 ; 96 ; 8
4/19 ; 254 ; 8
4/21 ; 253 ; 8
4/22 ; 73 ; 8
4/23 ; 24 ; 8
4/24 ; 36 ; 8
4/26 ; 1016; 8

I hope you find this information interesting. If you have any questions about the program, please fee free to contact me via e-mail at kmurphy@dfg.ca.gov.

Good Fish’N,

Kyle Murphy
Senior Biologist, Supervisor
CA Dept. Fish and Game
Bay Delta Region - Stockton

__________________________________________________ _________

A "slug" of them went through Knight's Landing yesterday.

Darian
04-27-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm not familiar with a Fyke Trap. :? :? Can anyone provide what its outside dimensions are and how the trap works :?: :?: I was impressed that 8 traps could catch/hold over 1,000 fish as on 4/26. :) :)

JerryInLodi
04-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Tristan, what do all the number mean? What are the historical counts?

Darian
04-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Tristan,.... Are the Fyke Traps always located in the Sacramento River at the same place or are they planted in all valley rivers :?: :?: If only planted in the Sacramento (or other river), how does DFG account for the problems of counting when flows are altered to cause Stripers to use a river other than where the Fyke Traps are located :?: :?: :?:

sculpin
04-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Tristan
Your right about the stripers spawning and the fishing being slow right now. We saw fish spawning 4 times Thursday. I was in the area camping on a bar above Colusa and gear fishing between Grimes and Colusa. We really had to work for fish and travel a long way looking for them. We wound up catching 10 stripers, in 2 days, including shakers and 1 sturgeon that measured 65" along side the boat before release. I may have passed you in front of Wards Friday, mid- day, if that was you headed down river, in a F&G boat.

Mark

Bryan Morgan
04-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know if they use the trap at Watt Ave. for Striper counts, or is it strickly for Salmonid species . :D

robdog
04-29-2007, 04:54 PM
As to your question about Verona, you cannot wade the mouth, but a lot of the sandbars upriver are open and should provide decent angling when the fish return to the area. (I fished one the other day and got skunked) :oops:

I fished up that way on Friday morning. I was at Joe's Landing & near Beer Can Beach on the Feather. (hey, that is what I heard it was called). I didn't get any hook-ups, but I was trying to use pile worms. I will go back to Beer Can Beach, cause I believe I can wade out into the river & fish a lil' chute there. I think it might be pretty productive, especially when the Shad present themselves. Tight Lines ;)

Darian
05-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey Tristan,... Thanks for the photo. I've seen those things before but didn't know what they were. I thought they were used for catching crawdads.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Lee
05-14-2007, 10:39 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Those would be some FREAKIN' BIG Crawdads !

Lobster , anyone ??

David

Hairstacker
05-14-2007, 10:58 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Darian
05-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Where's da butta :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Terry Thomas
05-15-2007, 05:23 PM
We landed a tagged fish today below Los Molinos that was tagged in Stockton. Why do they run wire all the way through the fish and twist tie it on the other side with the tag? To me, it really looks barbaric and leaves an open wound on the fish. Why doesn't a regular tag work on stripers? Sorry for all of the questions. There must be a better way to tag these fish.
T.

Terry Thomas
05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Sorry, make that Meridian. A 3 am wake up time and running the Sac. and Yuba today must have made me a little rummy.
T.