PDA

View Full Version : Putah Creek

JT
04-27-2007, 04:19 PM
I fished the creek on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Wednesday didn't turn out so well. I only hooked one fish. I had a few other hits on the swing, but no other fish were hooked/landed. The wind was blowing pretty hard making it tough to cast/mend. That made 3 times in a row with nothing landed. I was beginning to think that I was tying flies with fish repellent built in or something.

Thursday was a totally different story. The wind was minimal. The flows had been fairly stable for a few days, and the fish were more eager to take a fly. I landed quite a few fish on a #16 olive caddis pupa, a #18 cream micro mayfly, a #20 Griffith's Gnat, a #20 olive midge pupa, and a #20 dark red midge pupa. Action was pretty consistent with the caddis pupa and micro mayfly in the mid-afternoon. In the early evening, the fish came to the surface. There were swarms of midges hovering above the water, so that's where the Griffith's Gnat came in. I threw the midge pupa dropper in to get the fish that would refuse the dry. Most trout in Putah cannot resist a midge pupa. Most of the fish were typical hatchery fish, but I did manage to land some wild fish. They are so much fatter. Some of the wild fish were on the smaller side but one was 15", another was 17", and the biggest of the day was a FAT 19"er. His belly was seriously bulging. That was one strong fish! I lost a lot of fish as well, too numerous to count. One appeared to be about 20".

The conditions were ideal. The flows have been fluctuating a lot lately because of irrigation. They have actually dropped in the last week (perhaps due to the rain) and stabilized at around 300 cfs. I just hope they stay that way for the weekend.

David Lee
04-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Great report !!

Nothing quite as sweet as breaking a slump , eh ??

David :D