PDA

View Full Version : Good luck Saturday

bigtj
04-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Hope everybody has a good opening day Saturday, wherever you are. Now that so many waters are open year-round the opener doesn't seem like such a big deal, but I do look forward to continuing the tradition.

Cheers,

-John

bigtj
04-29-2007, 07:33 PM
The opener on the McCloud was sensational. However, the water was by far as low and warm as I have ever seen it for this time of year by a long shot - many years I've dealt with snow, sleet, rain, and all other manner of bad weather. Air temps were in the 80's both Friday and Saturday I even wet waded on Saturday! Fish were coming up for dries starting at 7 AM and there was no reason to put on an indicator the entire trip. There is no way to be sure how things will go this summer but my gut feeling is the fishery will slow down quite a bit this summer, now is the time to get up there and give it a shot.

chemdoc
04-29-2007, 08:03 PM
That's pretty amazing for this early in the year. Were you fishing in the preserve or upstream?

Phil

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-29-2007, 08:34 PM
I remember about 15 years ago Bob Quigley hit the lower McCloud River early on a mild winter and the bugs where going wild on opening week.

bigtj
04-30-2007, 07:21 AM
I fished the conservancy and up by the campground. The fishing was pretty good everywhere.