PDA

View Full Version : Some say May is favorite for topwater...

mikenewman
04-25-2007, 05:19 PM
...but I have no complaints with April.
Here's the best of eight fish brought to hand today. Boga'd at something over 6lbs.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Mikenewman_/6lb250607.jpg

Usual M.O. Big diver, fairly aggressive retrieve and not afraid to pitch into the thickest crap available :)

Any of you guys who are constantly watching for higher water temps before committing to topwater are making a big mistake. I only fish topwater for Black Bass and have been getting sport throughout April and from 57f upwards

It doesn't come any better than this :P

Cheers
Mike

David Lee
04-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Nice fish !!

Spiffy shirt , as well . How do you stay so clean out there ?????

David :P

Hairstacker
04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Holy mackerel Mike, another GREAT fish! You are definitely making me re-think about April topwater. I didn't think it would be worthwhile but you're obviously proving different.

When you say, "fairly aggressive retrieve," I assume you mean a relatively fast, somewhat constant retrieve?

Anyway, congratulations! Good to see you getting into 'em again. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Arron and I are headed down there this Saturday.

I think we will launch at Lundborg Landing.

http://www.lundborglanding.com/

We will be in my 12' white fiberglass pram.

We can stand it anymore!

JerryInLodi
04-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Bill, don't rush when coming down to the delta. Low tide is at 10:40am and a lot of the trough next to the ripwrap is exposed as well as masses of weed. High tide is at around 4:00pm. Fishing should be MUCH better in the afternoon than in the morning. In addition, you'll have the benefit of the hours of sunlight warming the water. The one bad element is the wind. It's expected to pick up in the afternoon.

I have honey-do's on Saturday but both I and my wife will be out Sunday, again in the afternoon after the morning's yard work.

Next weekend's (5/5-6) tides are better for the morning, Saturday's morning high is at 6:47 and Sunday's 7:27.

mikenewman
04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Mike

Bear in mind that a boat opens up more options in overcoming April adversity than your beloved Red Zeppelin! E.g. I found 2 degrees of extra warmth on Monday but I had to travel a long way to find it. Similarly I can pick spots that give better relief in any given wind direction. Your yak inevitably confines your flexibilty which is important at this time of year.

Though I often get hung up when casting, I don't get hung up about the retrieve. :) I've had enough blow ups when the bug has just landed and on pauses to know that a static bug will catch but again the boat and tactics tend to dictate the style of retrieve i.e. I am invariably trolling along a section of bank. The dynamics of boat speed, current and wind mean that for most part a static approach is not appropriate. It's cast deep into the cover, retrieve with short, sharp strips (blooping) through the hot spot and lift off ready for the next opportunity which is invariably presenting itself. In the course of a day I am making literally hundreds of casts to bassy looking spots: my main objective is to get the big bug to land accurately and with barely a ripple. Again, this is something that I suspect is v difficult from a yak where a USD cast or even a tight sidearm is not really feasible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the bass are lining up for your bug at this time of year. It's challenging but then that's what I like and I seem to be doing ok. Seems to me the best advice is don't wait for others to tell you the best time to fish - get out there, develop your own experiences and formulate your own rules. Even if you get skunked you'll still have a great day's fishing ( as opposed to catching :) ) and you'll come back with a little more knowledge for next time.

David - it's true that a well laundered shirt is critical for big bass 'cos as you know: good presentation is everything :lol: However, before you brand me as the "Dandy of the Delta" check out the gloves - they are seriously stinkin'!

Mike