PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a 8 ft 8 wt

BillPu
04-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm looking to pick up a dedicated big bug rod for LMB. Can anyone recommend rods, in the 8 foot range, to test over at Kiene's? I'm really anxious to get one since the bass are lined up next to the shore on their beds at my local pond. Pretty soon, they're going to explode on topwater!! :D

Thanks.

Bill

Hairstacker
04-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Bill, all the posts and pictures lately about topwater bassin' does get the adrenaline going, doesn't it? :D

As far as a big bug rod for LMB's, I think you're going to have a real hard time finding an 8-ft 8wt. Step up to the 9-ft length, though, and you will be overwhelmed by the number of GREAT rods Bill features in his shop. No doubt there will be one just right for you.

If you could narrow down your price range, I'm sure folks will pipe in with suggestions. I think the best way, though, is to go to the shop, make it clear how much you want to spend and what you'll be using it for, and then test-casting those that the staff recommends with the reel and line you intend to use. That way you'll end up with a rod that feels best to you rather than someone else. My .02 anyway.

Darian
04-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Sound advice, as usual, Mike. 8) 8' rods are not common any longer but 8 1/2' rods are. You should be able to get an 8wt in that length.... Do some research, on-line and then visit Kiene's..... 8) 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi Bill Pu

Most are using 9' rods because that is what is mostly available or what they already had.

Most are using #7 and #8 line rods with 2 to 3 line sizes over.

We do have a few special heavy cover bass/mangrove rods in stock.

TFO 7'6" #6 and 7'6" #8 both in 4 piece.

Scott 7'7" #9 - 3 piece mangrove special

It is really hard to find many #7 or #8 line rods shorter than 9'.

Kevin Doran is using a 9' #7 - 4 piece Sage XP rod with a WF10F saltwater line.

Andy Guibord and I are using 9' #8 line rods with WF10F SW.

Right now one of the lines of choice is the new Sage "Equator Taper II".

I think some bass tournaments have a under 8' regulation for fly rods.

BillPu
04-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry about the 8 foot thing. Must be too much coffee and not enough sleep. I meant 9 foot 8 weight. For some reason I kept typing in "8"
for 8v8rything. Hmmm... :D

Anyhow, just wondering about what people are using. Price range would be $300-$500.

Thanks.

Bill

k.hanley
04-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Say Hey Bill P,
You aren't off with the 8' request. We had some in that range at Kiene's shop during the Warm Water Expo. SAGE has been in serious development with such rods. I don't know the exact release dates, but they could be available to the public in the near future.
Cheers, Ken

David Lee
04-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Bill -

I use an RPLX-890-3 for the serious stuff . Way back when .... Sage made a 8 foot 9 inch 2 peice one that was considered by many Buggers to be THE stick .

An Albright Yellowstone 9 foot 8 wt. for most Bugging , if it dies .... no problem - cheapest rod around that casts like a dream . Pretty good guts to it , as well .

While I have yet to fish it .... the TFO ticrx 7 1/2 foot 8 wt. casts good , and has the grunt to drag MOE out of whatever - flings big flies w/ little trouble .

A simple 6 wt. will handle most Bass you'll ever hook , but you need to really take into account the flies you will be fishing on the surface . Some Bugs used by our members in the Delta can be fearsome big .

Big fly= BIG fish , sometimes .

I think its great that more people are fishing for Bass using big Deerhair flies - doing that was THE fashion back from before 1900 to the late 1940's . I've no clue as to why it fell by the wayside .....

Perhaps it's time for Kienes warmwater day , part two ???

David :D

Jay Murakoshi
04-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm using the TFO TiCr X 7 1/2' 8wt for LMB and alot of other species. I also have the G. Loomis CC 8' 9wt for bigger species. I've pulled on some big fish with that cannon.
I know alot of people don't like throwing short rods. Could be they want to keep the fly wellaway from the head.

At one time, I had a Loomis IMX 8wt that threw and handled like a cannon and a power winch. Now, I wish I hadn't sold it.

Jay

BillPu
04-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh dang you to heck KH!!! :? Now I gotta buy another rod!!

I just spent a couple hours over at Kiene's and had a real good session with Andy. I ended up with a TFO Ticrx 9 foot 8 weight with a WF10F line.

Thanks to Andy and Tom, I am now equiped to battle the LMB that have been taunting me lately. But on a more serious note, it sure is pleasant to have a shop like Kiene's close by. Andy took the time to show me some casting tips for bass fishing and steered me in the right direction. I have so far bought a 5 wt, 7 wt, spey and now a 8 wt from Bill and his staff.

Kudos to Bill, Andy, Jeff and the rest of the guys at Kiene's for helping me enjoy fly fishing!

BillPu
04-26-2007, 09:43 PM
While I have yet to fish it .... the TFO ticrx 7 1/2 foot 8 wt. casts good , and has the grunt to drag MOE out of whatever - flings big flies w/ little trouble .

David,

I tried that one with both a 9 wt and a 10 wt. It sure is easy to handle and felt great. Then I asked to try it in the 9 foot version and was sold.

Now I have to pick the right time to nail those bass. I've been walking the shoreline at the local pond fishing for bluegills with my 3 wt and have spotted 10 pairs of nesting bass ( on one small side of the pond). Small males and some BIG mommas. They don't seemed interested in eating right now so I've been leaving them to do their business. But once that's over, they are going to be HUNGRY!! :D

That's when I show them the new TFO Bass Killa. :D :D :D

Bill

k.hanley
04-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Say Hey Bill,

"Oh dang you to heck KH!!! Now I gotta buy another rod!!" :shock:

You asked. I delivered. Gotta love this great game of FF. :D

Cheers, K