PDA

View Full Version : Local fishing will go wild now with the warm weather

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Bass & panfish will be off the charts for the next few months till we hit those 100 degree days in June. It can still be good all summer but the AM and PM is best then.

We still have smaller Halfpounder Steelhead and resident trout feeding in all our low elevation rivers and streams that flow down here in the foothills and valley floor. Try caddis imitations in the evenings.

We are in the middle (April, May, June) of the big Striper spawning run with fish below from Sacramento scattered all the way up to Colusa in the Sacramento River. Stripers are in the lower American and the lower Feather too.

The American Shad are just starting their spawning run with reports from the mouth of the American and mouth of the Feather now. It is an anchored boat deal now. Wading will start in mid-May with June the real deal for up river fishing.

Trout in low elevation lakes should be getting started now too.

The Upper Sac, McCloud and Pit Rivers will all be fishing well in May and June this summer. After that it might get too low and clear for easy fishing. Many other rivers start later like the NF Yuba and Truckee River that will be good in June/July.

August in Nor Cal might be pretty sad except in the high country or over at the coast.

As you can guess from all this it's time to go fly fishing.

OregonSalmon
04-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Billy,
I didn't know your middle name is Alfred. Your new nick: "Alfred E. Kiene". "What, Me Worry?

Sounds like small stream Sierra trout fishing should be good early. Have some fond memories of trips with my dad. He would be bitchin' at me for packing the wrong style of mustard, I'd be outfishing him....yep..good times. A million great spots to take the kid fishing up in them thar hills. I have three in mind if anyone would like to hear of them. Have no idea if the roads still go there so you roll the dice and take your chances. For me, I'm sticking to fat women and clams, neither of which I like.

---"one, two, three, four....what am I clammin' for?....backs so sore....feel like an overworked Scottish whore.....-------Clammin' Country Joe Macdonald aka Galen "never give a clam an even break" Geller