PDA

View Full Version : It's time to start floating in something?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2007, 08:49 AM
If you have limited your fly fishing to on foot only it's time to think about a float tube, pontoon boat, kayak, canoe or small boat (8' to 16').

I fish more out of boats now than anything else and it's not just because I am a Jr Geezer but the fact that I just love being out 'on the water'.

If you need any advise about taking this jump be sure to post your question right here for help.

metalhead
04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Bill,

I have been looking at car top boats to fish the upper Klamath, Lower Eel, Trinity, Rogue and the Humboldt lagoons. I have a 2hp Honda (25lbs) motor. Which Outcast would you recommend for class I & II water. Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2008, 09:53 PM
It might depend on how much you way?

8 footers are lighter and more compact.

9 foots float more weight and are safer.

I think I would go for a 9 foot if I was going to put a motor on it.

10 footers are for multi-day floats with gear.

JPY
07-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi Bill and others,

I finally took your advice and purchased a boat, a porta bote to exact. It is 12 foot in length and I have a 50 lbs trolling motor. It works wonderfully on lakes. I was wondering whether I can take it on rivers such as the American and whether the trolling motor is sufficient to allow me to stay in one area of the river (or basically all I will be to do is drift downriver). Are there places on the American River that are relatively calm and easily accessable? What the best place to pull into and to take out the boat on the American for a nice drift? From fishing and from my research, I think there are only two sections on the American River were there are rapids (San Juan Rapids and Arden Rapids).

The porta bote is more akin to a jon boat than a pram or a raft. It is fairly light, stable, easy to row, and moves pretty well with the trolling motor. I like to try to take the boat on the American River and sheltered areas in the Delta. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Great John.........congratulations.

I have studied the 'Porta-Bote' and it is a good craft. They are made right here in Mountain View, CA.

http://porta-bote.com/

They made an 8, 10 and 12 foot model and now added a 14 footer.

The 12 footer has been the most popular.

They are very durable but the only comments I've heard of is that the floor is a little wiggly and takes a little getting use to.

__________________________________________________ __________

One of the the two places I fish in small skiffs is launching at Howe Avenue and going upstream to Watt Avenue Bridge and/or downstream to the Fair Oaks/H-J street bridge by Sacramento State University.

The other would be to launch at Discovery Park at the mouth of the American River near Old Sacramento. From there it is miles of flat water you can run all the way upstream to Cal Expo/lower Paradise Beach.

The cool part is that the entire Lower American River is 5 mph and as you mentioned mostly flat with only two big rapids.

I would come in any day but Tues/Wed and talk with Andy Guibord who can give you ideas about floating and shuttling the other parts of the river. You can have Joe Shirshac shuttle your vehicle and then float a 5 mile stretch to see some new water.

You can put in at Howe Avenue and have Joe shuttle your vehicle to the mouth of the American River. this is a really long float with lots of flat water.

You might go out once with Andy on the river to learn how to fly fish for Stripers too.

You have a good electric motor but you might want to get a 4hp outboard some day too for going more distance.

Be sure to keep a life vest on in moving water in a small boat.

FRSam
07-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Bill I’ve got a 2006 15 ½ foot Boston Whaler center console Montauk with a 4 stroke 60 hp Merc which I’ve used quite a bit on the bigger lakes in the area I live. It’s worked out great and has meant all my expectations.

I’d love to get into some stripper fishing with this boat. I’ve never done any and am a bit hesitant to put into water I’m completely unfamiliar with. I spent the later part of this winter tying nothing but striper fly’s so I’m in pretty good shape there.

What I’d like to do is hire a guide to fish the American or the Delta and take my boat out to do the fishing out of. This would allow me to become familiar with the water in my boat as well as learn some of the details of striper fishing.

Any suggestions? My boat is set up with GPS, Sonar and a transom mount 55 pound thrust Minn Kota trolling motor. I used to do quite a bit of steelhead fishing before I moved to the mountains so I’m pretty well set up with the heavier weight rods, reels and lines including an assortment of shooting heads.

Thanks for any information,

Pete

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi FRSam

I love your boat.....it's a perfect 'Striper getter'.

__________________________________________________ _______

I would go out in the Delta with Captain Kevin Doran anywhere from Oct 15 through November to get some good help down that way for Stripers.

http://www.deltaadventures.com/Home.html

__________________________________________________ ________

April though October I would have Andy Guibord take you out in your boat in the Lower American River for Stripers. A boat that size will work nicely Spring, Summer and Fall in the lower reaches. I would launch at Discovery Park at the Mouth of the American River where it meets the Sacramento River. Lots of deeper flat water down that way.

916 849 1529 cell

@ fly shop Thursday - Monday 800 400 0359

__________________________________________________ ________

You also have the perfect boat for top water large mouth bass in the spring, summer and fall in the Delta and many reservoirs in CA.

Capt Kevin Doran is the top guide for that.

FRSam
07-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks Bill...I'll look into it and give Andy a call. I was talking to Andy Burk over at the Reno Fly Shop and he showed me a picture of a striper he'd taken out of the American - what a beautiful fish.

And every time the Delta is mentioned Kevin Doran's name seems to surface - I've head a lot of goods things about him so I'll put him on the list as well.

Once again thanks Bill.

Pete

mikenewman
07-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Pete

Your Montauk 15 set up will be perfect for the Delta and, as Bill says, KD will not only give you a great day on the water but you'll come away with a sackful of information to shorten your Delta learning curve. October/November is pure magic out there :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mike

JPY
07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks Bill for the information. I will definitely visit the shop to learn more about floating the American and possibly hiring Andy to learn how to fish for Stripers.

Thanks again.
John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Getting out on the water opens up an entire new world for fly fishers.

I do know that boating is more attractive to older fly casters too because of the difficulties of wading with our old bodies.

Float on...............

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/OurBoats/SearsJon.jpg

One of my first boats maybe 40 years ago on Snodgrass Slough. Today I would have more weight up front for balance.