PDA

View Full Version : Ansel Adams

Rob
04-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Does anyone remember when Ansel Adams had a photography workshop that he offered in Yosemite valley in the summers. I signed up for one in 1975 (?) but changed my mind . :oops: Boy I wish I would have gone !!! :cry: One of my biggest regrets !!!

Jay Murakoshi
04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
I took two of his Yosemite workshops. At the time, we were shooting with a 8"x10" bellows camera. It was definitly an intensive course to go through. I think this is the era when photography was photography. It was so intense to be there at the right time and be ready to shoot. I remember one time we did a work shop on the beach and got there way before sunrise. We were setting up the bellows under the headlights of the cars and as soon as the sun rose in the sky. NOPE, not today, let's come back tomorrow morning. There were some amazing shots of the sand dunes that look just like the desert.

I still visit Yosemite every now and then.... Living only 45 minutes from the entrance, it's an easy drive..... but way too many people

Jay

mems
04-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Jay you are a lucky guy. I have been to the studio in Yosemite, just love Adams work. You are right those days of waiting for the perfect shot are over. I doubt anyone does darkroom work anymore. I love the story of Adams life and his dyslexia and his father's support. One of my favorites of his is the documentary on Manzanar. How fortunate to meet him and work with him. Georgia O'Keefe didn't stop by did she? Thanks for sharing a cool story, Mems.

jhaquett
04-25-2007, 04:07 PM
You guys should watch any of the "Planet Earth" episodes on the Discovery Channel. There was a camera man (both still and video) that waited out the mating ritual of a rare bird for 8 weeks...just to get 15 seconds of shot! He lived in a cot in a tree for the entire time, and waited 8 hours a day with the camera at hand. :shock:

I thought maybe this information would help to restore your faith that people still try out there in the photography/media world! :wink:

Rob
04-27-2007, 01:57 AM
One of my favorite !!

kokaneejr
04-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey guys had a busy couple of weeks but wanted to reply before it was to late. I was lucky enough to take a seminar about 10 years ago with one of Ansels helpers. It was in the early winter forget his name although he did teach at San Jose State. Yosemite has always been a special place for me and without Ansel and John Shaw I wouldn't have loved photography so much. I now only visit Yosemite in the winter it's more peaceful. Took this last November on my 10th wedding aniversary. Thanks Rob for reminding us of a great place and a great man....Craig.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t100/kokaneejr/halfweb.jpg

Matt Frey
04-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Very cool photo Craig.

Rob
04-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Very Nice !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Adam Grace
04-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Awesome picture Craig.