PDA

View Full Version : new fly shop in sac town?

calfly
04-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Whatever happened to the store in the roseville mall with the Orvis sign that was supposed to open up? What was the name of that store? Is it still closed with the sign promising to open up soon?

Gregg
04-22-2007, 01:21 PM
The store is an Orvis company store and it will be located in The Fountains, a new lifestyle development across from the Galleria Mall in Roseville. The Fountains are slated to open in the Spring of 2008, but negotiations to be acquired by Westfield have pushed the proposed opening date back from what I understand. I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath for a true "fly shop", as the store will more than likely focus on men's and women's clothing and home accessories with some fly gear mixed in for ambiance. Should be interesting to see, though...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-22-2007, 02:22 PM
We are extremely excited about the new Orvis factory store coming to Roseville. It will be 90%+ clothing and gifts with a small fly fishing department.

We are the dominant Orvis independent dealer in the area for many years so we will be the shop that is recommended by them when they don't have what the customers needs.

We will promote them for clothing and gifts to our customers as well.

It's a "win win" situation for all.

calfly
04-22-2007, 06:41 PM
We are extremely excited about the new Orvis factory store coming to Roseville. It will be 90%+ clothing and gifts with a small fly fishing department.

We are the dominant Orvis independent dealer in the area for many years so we will be the shop that is recommended by them when they don't have what the customers needs.

We will promote them for clothing and gifts to our customers as well.

It's a "win win" situation for all.

Creekside Flyshop with large shops in Seattle and Issaquah was the dominant independent Orvis dealer in the Bellevue area and Orvis thanked them by putting a large flyfishing company store in bellevue. Peter Corbett is not very pleased about his loyalty to Orvis. You are lucky in not only are you not going to be screwed but you will have most of their fly fishing customers referred to you!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Orvis in no competition to any decent fly shop and they are well aware of it.

Unless your fly shop is over 50% clothing and gifts you will be OK with an Orvis factory store right next door.

Chuck Hintlian
04-30-2007, 07:55 AM
...The store is an Orvis company store and it will be located in The Fountains, a new lifestyle development across from the Galleria Mall in Roseville. ...

I know who Orvis is. I have been using their stuff since the 1940's.
But, what the heck is a "lifestyle development"?

Dave Neal
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Well said, Bill. Kiene's is a class act shop with class act employees and will not be hurt one bit by having an Orvis shop across town. Pardon me for beaming but I've worked retail pretty much my whole life and know it well...Kiene's is the epitome of a great specialty retail store. But of course, you all know that.

I currently work/guide for the Troutfitter/Troutfly shop in Mammoth Lakes (a very small town). We were an Orvis dealer for a long time and there is an Orvis shop up in the "Village" at Mammoth Mountain. Some of the original Troutfly guides even left our shop to help open that one. It has not affected our biz one bit...in fact it's great when people are looking for super fancy dog beds and trout themed linens for their "fractional ownership" hotel room/condo...we just send em up there! :D

bigtj
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
The Orvis factory store in Reno is really struggling. The fly shop gets so little business it's amazing. I swear I can hear crickets chirping every time I go in there. Anyway I guess my point is I think Bill is right...the Orvis store isn't a threat to take much busness away.

Dave Neal
05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I've checked out the Orvis store in Reno too. It's a great looking store with friendly staff. One thing I thought was interesting was a rack of Patagonia clothing, on sale. Do other Orvis shops carry Patagonia too?

Rob
05-01-2007, 12:50 PM
You will never find a staff like the kiene's crew anywhere !!
There is a reason they are one of the biggest fly shops around .
Because they are the BEST !! Bill and Marylin have always treated my boys and I like Family not customers . The Kiene's crew is what I miss most in California. When my boys and I started fly fishing Bill helped them in so many ways. My boys have fly rods , float tubes and other things that Bill and his staff gave them to help enjoy this sport . I will always be grateful for there love and kindness that they have shown to Jason Cody and I. Kiene's Fly shop will always be successful will people like that. :D :D

RobK .

Gregg
05-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Chuck-

"Lifestyle Development" centers are retail concentrations which center around a specific customer type / demographic. There are numerous developers, such as Opus, who specialize in these types of developments, and have been highly successful with the format. In fact, many city planners and developers are viewing these specialized commercial centers as the future of retail. The Fountains in Roseville is just one of many developments aimed at a specific customer, in this case 40 year old + women with a gross household income over $100,000. Looking at the list of tenants, it is fairly simple to see the target market. The Village at Gateway in Natomas is another example of a "lifestyle development", targeting pre-teen to teenage boys and girls. The Orvis store will more than likely be heavily stocked with gifts, clothing, and pet and home accessories, and will put the Orvis brand name on consumer's minds in a staggeringly wealthy part of the Valley. For more information, check out these links:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2005/04/25/story7.html
http://www.opuscorp.com/-AreasOfExpertise/retail.html

And for everyone who is concerned that this is not entirely flyfishing related, I said the name "Orvis" so I'm safe!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Digger
05-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Almost no enclosed malls are being built these days. Instead the focus has shifted to open-air, pedestrian-friendly shopping venues with easier parking and more entertainment functions, such as restaurants. Retailers like "lifestyle centers" because they attract higher-end consumers and the common-area costs are much lower. Regional mall owners are increasingly converting their old fortress-style malls to hybrids by knocking down shuttered department stores and adding "lifestyle-center elements."