PDA

View Full Version : The Jurgler Strikes!

JerryInLodi
04-21-2007, 09:06 PM
I finally put down my striper rod long enough to make a few casts with my new fly, the jurgler. The water temperature was about 60 degrees, far too low for topwater but I thought I'd try a few casts before putting the fly away and getting out the woolly buggers. I basically just wanted to see if it would turn over properly with the hook up and slide across any grass, weed and other gunk in its way.

I made about four casts over the weeds in the trough along Potato Slough and started stripping on the fourth cast and was startled when the water exploded and the fish below engulfed the fly.

The fish came to the boat with the jurgler well down into the mouth area and any previous fears about hooking seem to be needless. This fish was stuck well. After weighing it on the digital scale and finding it was 2 pounds, 10 Oz. I released it so I could come back and catch it again in a year or so. I got four more rises to the fly but none of the fish were even big enough to take the fly into their mouths and instead knocked it into the air.

http://www.deltastripers.com/images/jurglerfish.jpg

Sturmer White
04-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Nice report Jerry.
Glad to hear your jurgler works. I tied one but, it doesn't look too good.
I will go check the picture of yours again.

sculpin
04-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey Jerry, that's a heathy looking fish with nice coloration. If it ever warms up here again, I'll have to give the Jurgler a try.

Mark

SullyTM
04-22-2007, 03:22 PM
=D> =D> =D>

Way to go Captain Jerry...What color deer hair did you tie?

I'm waiting for some warmer temps as I have a few Jurglers to toss. I've even found what looks like a "can't miss" bass pond!

Later...

JerryInLodi
04-22-2007, 05:14 PM
I made some changes from the first attempt. I had bought some yak hair to try clousers with and I thought I'd try tying some legs using the materials. Here's a copy of the the fly I was using on Saturday.

http://www.deltastripers.com/images/frog1.jpg
http://www.deltastripers.com/images/frog2.jpg

I think I may try some synthetic materials for the legs next.

Darian
04-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Jerry,.... Since flotation is the key, here, why not use hollow bucktail and tie off the ends to form the feet/fins. 8) 8) 8) I know synthetics tend to float but they're not overly compressible. IMHO, that would contribute to increased thickness and less action. :? :? :?

JerryInLodi
04-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Darian, I agree, the bucktail would be better, I just need to find some long enough! I also will order some lighter hooks since I'm currently bending my saltwater 3/0 hooks. Kind of overkill. In finding a better hook I could probably find something with a better gape as well.

The absolute best thing about the fly was that in about an hour's casting I had to pull only one weed from the hook. The fly lands with the hook up or turns over if landing up-side-down which is not too often. Also, when cast into the tulles, it only stuck a tulle on one occasion. I was able to strip it free when it did.

I'm out of 3mm foam so I need to get some before tying more.

Hairstacker
04-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Jerry, looks like you came up with a winner! Very cool to come up with a fly you can toss just about anywhere. Nice bass too! 8) 8) 8)