PDA

View Full Version : What materials to use for large salt flies?

sculpin
04-19-2007, 04:33 PM
What types of materials are you guys using to tie large billfish flies ? Most of the materials I have seen locally (very limited in our area) don't look like they would cast worth beans without fowling badly or hold up well. I'm stumped.

Thanks Mark

jbird
04-19-2007, 06:38 PM
BIG Materials! :D

Mark, have you looked for any big saltwater saddles or schlapen? I have seen a lot more big billfish flies tied with feathers than fur.

Jay

sculpin
04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Jay
I've got some saddles but the feathers are a little short. I'll look at schlapen.

Carl
I would love to see some pictures of your flies. Thanks for the offer.

Mark

Jay Murakoshi
04-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Mark,

For Billfish flies, I use LONG bucktail mixed in with some synthetic wig hair or slinky fiber. Most synthetic will foul around a stinger hook even if you tie on a veil of bucktail. I've tied 1,000's of BF flies for the Blue water trips that Trey Combs use to run. I've also tied a bunch for the boys fishing the Cabo area and Guatamala
I don't know if you live close but this coming weekend at Kiene's fly fair, I will be tying up a Marlin fly and will also be displayng a Pink Lady Sea Habit.

Jay

sculpin
04-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Jay M
Thanks for the info and I sure wish I could make it to Kiene's fly fair, but it's a 5 1/2 hr drive South for me.

Carl
Those flies look to pretty to fish with and thanks a lot for the help. I may send you an email after I've studied the pictures of your flies a bit.

Mark

jbird
04-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Mark

I was looking at the material on this site http://www.bearsden.com/page0.html Looks intersting!

J

Darian
04-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Mark,.... Yesterday, I found some Schlappen at a local bait shop that carries some fly materials. These Schlappen feathers are all 12" to 14" in length. They're from Whiting Farms.

The shop didn't carry a wide variety of colors but did have enough to give me the idea that all of the saltwater colors are available from Whiting. 8) 8)

try: www.whitingfarms.com

I'm ready to go today!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: