PDA

View Full Version : Warm Water?

Ed Wahl
04-16-2007, 09:56 AM
David & I tubed up at Sly Park on Sunday. Managed to land 2 smallmouth each. Had to work for 'em, still early spring up there. Fish were caught about 15 feet down and were rather sluggish. My two takes felt like I had snagged some weeds, then after I started to pull they came alive. Very strong fish, took a bit longer to land than I expected. These things are real brutes, wouldn't have been surprised to see one jump up on my tube and start slapping me around. Ed http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001287.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I guess Sly Park being a little higher elevation that lake might be slightly behind these lower lakes and ponds as far as getting going is concerned?

We appreciate you "commandos" doing lots of R&D for the rest of us "slackers"?

Ed Wahl
04-16-2007, 10:51 AM
It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Ed

Sturmer White
04-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey Ed and David
Try again in a couple of weeks. Last year I had two days in early May and landed oner 20 each time. It is one of my faverites until all the boaters start. Then you need to stay back by the chimney where they can't speed.
Let me know when you guys are going again.

JerryInLodi
04-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Between the high winds and the rain, the delta water temperatures actually dropped a couple of degrees this last week. The drop seems to have made the LMB grumpy! They were not in the mood to play last Friday and I'm sure Saturday's rain and Sunday's winds did not improve their attitude.

It's very windy tonight and for at least the next two days but I might sneak out and try a few casts by myself. Too dangerous to cast with someone else in the boat unless they're into face metal decorations.

Hairstacker
04-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Very nice smallie! Looks like you fellas have been getting a lot of good use out of your float tubes this spring. 8) 8) 8) Were you guys using full sinking lines?

David Lee
04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Were you guys using full sinking lines?

Mike -

Cortland 444 Clear Camo I lines , a 6 wt. on my 7 wt. Fenwick (that damm rod sees more action these days ....) . A floater would have done OK , except for the 15+ breeze we dealt with on and off .

Barring any MAJOR storms , it 'should' be ON FIRE in 2-3 weeks . We lucked out , as far as that nasty wind .... Folsom was our backup plan , and I'm glad we didn't go there . I heard they had several boats capsize in the Regatta this Sunday :eek:

Strangely , no Trout hits to be had . Only one lonesome riser was seen . Lots of construction work going on in the back of the lake , be prepared to kick a ways to get to the fishing grounds . The Sun was out , but Ed and I were quite chilly and pretty much dogmeat by dusk .

Must be old age ??

David :D