PDA

View Full Version : '07 Session....

Darian
04-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Found some legislation in the current session that might interest California members of this BB:

AB 1270 - Striped Bass funding.

SB 939 - Anadromous fish funding.

SB 1018 - Disaster relief funding for comm'c'l fisherman, others.

AB 1032 - Closing wild Trout waters to suction dredging.

AB 695 - Comparable pay for F & G Wardens.

Don't want to bore you guys with a lot of details. So, if you want any info about these bills, let me know and I'll provide what I've found or you could look for the info and read on you own. :roll: :roll:

Suffice to say that there's some interst in guaranteeing funding for activities that may have some benefit fo our fisheries. I say "may" because everything done by our legislators is a two edged sword and seems to be ileld with unintended consequences. :? :? 8)

bonish
04-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Add to the list SB 384 by Codgill regarding wild trout. The following is a brief description from the Senate Natural Resources Committee staff:

SB 384 seeks to update the 1979 statute in three ways: (1) It would declare that it is the policy of the state to discourage the planting of hatchery-raised hybrid and non-native fish species in designated Wild Trout Waters or in other areas that would adversely affect native aquatic species; (2) It directs DFG to determine whether native trout species should be planted in designated wild trout waters in order to supplement the population of wild trout; and (3) The bill provides for the commission to consider designating a wild trout water as a zero limit catch and release fishery subsequent to reviewing a management plan for that stream or lake.

Dave Neal
04-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Wow, thanks guys. A lot of good stuff being reviewed.

Darian
04-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Another Blank....

Darian
04-13-2007, 08:47 PM
I saw SB 384, but decided not to comment on it until I worked out how the author resolves the conflict between this bill and prior legislation (AB 7 which he also authored) passed last year. AB 7 guaranteed hatchery funding by taking a portion of licensing fees and dedicating them for specified hatcheries.... :? :?

OregonSalmon
04-15-2007, 08:44 AM
I really like that one about the suction dredging. Don't know how that one could go wrong but you are right Darian...something can always go wrong in a bill. Years ago met up with some miners on the incredibly beautiful middle Yuba, way up, just below Milton. The men were pigs, trash everywhere, they had carved a road straight down the hillside and had no intention of taking out the bulldozer. The father of the group said he did it all the time; just claimed insurance on the dozer. Trash everywhere. That was 27 years ago and I'm still pissed off. I say the hell with those criminals.

Keep on your reps and something can always get done. I think Cindy Sheehan put to rest the idea that one person can't make a difference. Make that wheel squeak baby!!!!!!