PDA

View Full Version : Report and advice from local guide Hogan Brown

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Yes it is raining and windy today as I look out my window, BUT…Spring is here and the time for spring fishing is now (just maybe not today). With less than average snow pack this year, run off is going to be minimal, and April, May, and June are going to be great months for all types of fishing. There are still dates available in April, May, and June and with a warm low water summer predicted it is going to be a tough July and August, so get your fishing in early.

The Lower Yuba River has been fishing good to very good. Spring hatches are under way and the fish are feeding on top, on nymphs, and streamers at various times through out the day. Strong March Brown spinner falls, PMD hatches, little yellow sally hatches, PED hatches, and the start of the Golden stone and spring/summer caddis hatches have fish eating. Most of the big fish are finishing up spawning (if you are wading STAY OFF THE REDDS) and are back on the feed. Average fish has been around 16” with a few +20” fish in the last few weeks.

The Lower Sacramento River has been fishing good to very good for trout with a few spring steelhead mixed in. The spring caddis hatch in the upper river came and went. We are now focusing on the lower river from Balls Ferry down to Red Bluff. If you have never fished this section of the river April through July is prime time. Lava cliffs, canyon walls, and no manicured lawns backing up to the river (like through Redding) make for a very scenic float. We fish big stoneflies and while the average fish is around 16-18” we see catch rates exceeding 25 fish a day on average.

The Lower Feather River has been fishing fair to good for spring steelhead. This spring we have seen a great early run of spring steelhead on the feather. Like the fall our spring fish have been bigger than average with a few fish pushing 30” caught this year so far. The Average fish has been around 20” and 3-5lbs. If you haven’t gotten your steelhead fix yet this year get out there. We are catching fish nymphing, swinging, and skating.

Warm Water

BASS – Spring bass fishing is on!!! Most of the fish in the shallow water lakes are moving off the beds. In certain areas males are still watching beds and sight fishing for fish in the shallows has been phenomenal. Many of the big females are back on the feed after recovering from the spawn. Most fish are smashing bait fish in the shallows and top water fishing is right around the corner. In the larger reservoirs fish are just moving into the shallows and many are on the beds. Fishing in the shallows has been good. Also fishing the rocks and structure has been good.

CARP – Carp are in the shallows preparing to spawn and as the reservoirs and fore bays clearing and fishing is getting better and better. Split days between carp and bass have proven to be fun days. Most carp are averaging 7-10 lbs with one fish pushing 15 lbs landed last week.

STRIPERS/SHAD – There are stripers around Butte City with a few up around Ord Bend and Chico. The main schools seem to be going up and down river as water temps fluctuate with the weather. Late April and May should see striper fishing pick up as more fish move farther up the river. There are no reports of shad yet but with some warmer weather early May should see the first early arrivals.

TROUT OPENER – The trout opener should actually be good this year. A few years ago I remember it was snowing on the opener. As the valley heats up the foothills and sierra trout fishing should be great in May and June. I will be doing raft trips on the NF Feather along with walk and wades on the NF Feather and NF Yuba.

Bottom line is get out and fish!!!! There are still openings this spring but they are filling up fast. Give me a call, drop me an email, or book online at sacriveroutfitters.com to get on the calendar or check on current fishing conditions. Hope everyone is getting out and thanks again for all the business.

Hogan Brown

530-514-2453

1888SACRIVER

www.sacriveroutfitters.com

hoganbrown@hotmail.com