PDA

View Full Version : Yuba 4/8

bolden
04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
My dad and i hit the yuba today and for the first time in a long time we have had good success. I hooked into 7
fish and got 3 to the net. Two were about 14-15 and one was about 16. They all came out of the water multiple times.
My dad did similar to me.

All of these fish were caught on dries, which is all i throw on the yuba. Most of the fish were on pmd emergers,
with one on a march brown emerger.

Here is the big one for the day.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/IMGP0415.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-08-2007, 10:08 PM
The lower Yuba River should be getting better with this warm weather and low flow around 900 cfs.

Thanks for the report and nice photo.

amoeba
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
4/7 - landed 5 (all but one 14+), 4 on e/c caddis #14, 1 on march brown #12 parachute.

4/9 - landed 1 large (21") on tan elk hair caddis #16.

water temp 56, fish beginning to spawn/defend redds.

MSP
04-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Way to go guys! :D It's nice to see an encouraging report fro the "Y". Hopefully this is just a start and it will get going like years past. Been concerned that it might take a few years to get back to where it was three years ago. Time will tell.

Thanks for the report.

BTW: were you guys drifting or walking?

bolden
04-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Been concerned that it might take a few years to get back to where it was three years ago. Time will tell.

I have a feeling that is what is going to happen. Although the fish have been willing to feed on the surface, there are very
few bugs compared to two springs ago. That spring my dad and i were fishing it 3 times a week, i missed lots of school.
The fish were feeding on the surface regularly, and they averaged around 18 inches. This year they have been much smaller,
and there are no fish feeding in any type of rhythm. I think next spring will be much better, and hopefully the year after that
it will be close to what it used to be. This is only if it does not blow out again.

BTW: were you guys drifting or walking?

I was walking above the bridge, like always.

MSP
04-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks Bolden, fished it today from around 10:00 to 2:00ish and never saw a fish other than a couple of suckers in the deep hole above the bridge. There were a few PMD's coming off but everyone I saw was nailed by the Swifts that were swarming. Couldn't believe there were that many birds and so few bugs. A couple of March browns and that was it. The Swifts kept picking my fly off the water, I felt like I was flying a kite. Luckily I didn't hook any.

Time to try out the new boat!

Oh yea, did I mention I didn't catch anything either? Below is a picture of all the fish I got today!