PDA

View Full Version : Davis yesterday

vaughn
04-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Fished Davis with two friends yesterday... rain, non-stop wind and hail made for a difficult day. The spawn is over with, and most fish have moved to deeper water. Went to the western shore to escape the wind (yes, the road is open), but there are still snow burms to navigate- your vehicle must have high clearance. 3 of us put in at Jenkins. Missed a few grabs and managed one nice trout around 23". Overall very slow. Vaughn

lee s.
04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Vaughn,
How are the Pike doing? We dearly wanted to try'em out this spring before their intended demise :roll: , but scheduling has not been favorable to this goal. :(
....lee s.

vaughn
04-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi Lee,

Regarding Pike- yes, I had a pike to the boat- around 20" which managed to escape while trying to avoide the teeth. Got it on a black rickerts bugger. It would be interesting to target them with larger flys. I've seen photos of Davis pike over 10lbs, and judging from the bite marks and wounds on some of the trout I've caught there must be even bigger pike in there. It will be very interesting to see what floats to the surface when they poison later this year. Hopefully this will be the last chance in CA to ever catch a pike- could be interesting conversation years from now. Vaughn

Tracy Chimenti
04-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I heard they are not going to lower the lake do the treatment. I hope it's not true, because that was the plan before the DA filed the injunction and stopped the lowering of the lake on the first treatment. Instead of regualr Roetenone, they had to use Nuisan Knoxfish (same, but with trichlorethane) to get the chemical to disperse to the bottom. They just can't seem to get a complete treatment with a water column as deep as 60-feet at the dam, even with the solvent additive.

Tracy

bigtj
04-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Targeting pike in Davis would be a pain, you'd have to kill every one and bring the heads back and keep them frozen or refrigerated and wait for the DF&G to come pick them up. I've heard there is a place you can drop them at Davis but not sure. This isn't optional folks it's in the regs. Not worth it to me. Pike are really over-rated anyway.

Tracy Chimenti
04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
personally, i prefer pike baseball. My buddy's got a Big arm and I've got a BIG BAT!

Darian
04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Tracy,..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigtj
04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I've played that game before, better wear a raincoat because it's a MESS. Foul tips are almost as bad as when their eyeballs explode out of their heads.

Get back to seriousness, I think it's a bad idea to promote pike fishing at Davis. They're a serous threat to the salmon/steelhead in the valley. Let's all pray they go away and never, ever come back after this next round. If you do fish at Davis carry a knife and use it. Even if you're too lazy to get the head back to DF&G just be sure to kill it. Who knows the one you let get away might be the one that escapes the next poisoning, or worse, the one who gets washed over the dam and sets up shop downriver.

jayclarkflyfishing
04-14-2007, 07:39 AM
The plan that F&G is going with is to draw down the level to 45,000 acre feet and start the treatment right after Labor day.Bigtj;I am with you on promoting Davis as a pike lake.I think it is a bad idea and leads to irrisponsible behavior by some fisherman.I.E. the transportation of live pike.What some locals do with pike that they catch are to take them to shore and stomp them to death and leave them for the birds.Also this time around F&G has been much more willing to work with the City of Portola and Plumas county to come up with a plan that will hopefully be effective with the least amount of impact .I just hope that the treatment works this time and this fishery is returned to it's former glory.
My .02 cents.
Jay

bigtj
04-16-2007, 04:27 PM
LT I guess when stomping them it would be a good idea to not wear flip-flops! Thanks for the information. I hope it all goes well.