PDA

View Full Version : Drakes Beach Report

jhaquett
04-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey I know that Anne Vitale has the patent on the Drakes Beach report but I thought I would throw mine out there. It was my first time ever fly fishing in the surf, all I used was a floating line with a 10 foot leadcore front, about a 3 foot leader and a size 6 flourescent orange maribou jig with krystal flash that I tied.

I have no clue about how to know sand structures and where the fish will be holding, how far I need to wade out, how far I need to cast, how fast to strip line, or even how to present the fly :oops:. I just walked straight out from Drakes Beach Cafe and started fishing! Anyway I was only able to fish for about an hour (had my impatient family with me) but I caught two small perch! No pictures though both got off the hook before I could grab them.

Anyone who has never tried surf fishing should, it is a seriously good time. :D

If anyone has advice for me in the things that I don't know (above) I would love to hear from you because I am going to be trying that again soon and next time I would really like to tear the perch up. :wink:

David Lee
04-10-2007, 07:21 AM
HOW COOL IS THAT !!!!!!!

First trip , first Surfperch !! Good job !!!!

David :D :D :D :D :D

Mr. Noodle Rod
04-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Sounds like someone's really hooked on fly fishing the suds! :D :D Congratulations on your first successful hook-up in the surf. \:D/ \:D/ That first catch is always one of amazement ("I can't believe I caught something on a fly in the surf!") :nod: :nod:

I got a chance to fish Drake's this past weekend as well - wound up with a few perch on Saturday & Sunday. The fish were a little elusive & it took a bit of footwork to search them out.

Hope you get another opportunity to hit the surf again soon. Let the fun begin! :wink:

- Mark

k.hanley
04-10-2007, 03:10 PM
First trip...and bingo! Gotta love it. You hooked the perch, but we hooked you! Now it's creeping into your language, your waking thoughts, your dreams....ok, ok, ok, I'm getting carried away. Nice job. Stay safe out there.
Cheeers, Ken

Anne Vitale
04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Jhaquett...
First of all congratulations on getting a couple of hookups on your first try. It took me three or four trips there before I got my first surf perch. Secondly, it is Mark-- Mr. Noodle Rod-- who has the patent on Drake's Beach. I'm just an Annie-come-lately to that fishery.

Here are a couple of hints about that place. The area in front of the cafe is considered "the flats". I have caught a few there but only at the top of the flood or the bottom of the outgoing. Most of the structure (minimal this time of year) is about 150 to 200 yards to the left or the right of there. Structure in the surf usually refers to depressions or out-and-out holes in the sand that fish like to hang out in. You usually find them by watching for irregular wave action.

As far as how far to wade out, wade out only as far as you feel safe. Then back up about 5 or 6 feet. I am usually standing knee deep with incoming waves surging about a foot higher then that. Never any further. I stand with one foot in front of the other in a constant bracing position. Eventually you will get familiar with the wave action on any particular day and make adjustments accordingly.

You have the right color fly but the size may be a little too large for Drake's. I have my best results with size 8 or 10 orange or root beer color buggy or crabby looking flies fished in constant motion. Strip..stip..strip..strip, all the way in. I hope this helps. Good luck in the future .....Anne

jhaquett
04-11-2007, 02:55 PM
That helps a lot thanks Anne. I don't think I'm going to be able to put those tactics to use until school gets out (middle of May) :cry: , maybe the fishing will be even better then.