PDA

View Full Version : Our only Native .

David Lee
04-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Yup , that's right !!

SACRAMENTO PERCH !!!

Sac Perch are the only member of the Sunfish/Bass family that is native to the western states . Ed and I will be hunting for these fish today at Lagoon Valley . I've neglected this species long enough , now it's time to go out and collect a few . I'll post a full report w/ photos later tonight (that is .... if we manage to catch a few ....) .

Ready when you are Ed !!!!!

David :D

sculpin
04-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Sooo, I guess snortin ashes didn't win the poll for this weekend ? :(

David Lee
04-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Sooo, I guess snortin ashes didn't win the poll for this weekend ? :(

Errrrr ..... nope .

Actually .... when I read that Keith had said that , I totally believed it . I mean , if you're Keith Richards .... why not ?!?

Sure wish I was road-trippin' w/ you , D. , and Jerry . I'll be down at Punta around the end of October/first of November for the usual surf madness ..... Not quite as cool as being the fly on the dash of the truck - listening to you three chatter .

David :)

JerryInLodi
04-07-2007, 07:59 AM
David, there's a great B&B down there and I can help if you or anyone wants to do a fly in or drive down on their own. I'm also thinking of leading a group in 2008, a maximum of eight anglers since that's the number of quality guides available that know, and in some instances, have even fly fished themselves. The price would be right at about $1200 for six days fishing.

We'll see what Darian and Mark have to say this summer.

sculpin
04-07-2007, 06:42 PM
[quote="David Lee"]
Sure wish I was road-trippin' w/ you , D. , and Jerry . Not quite as cool as being the fly on the dash of the truck - listening to you three chatter .

Hey David
I wish you were going with us. Your right about the BS being thick enough to cut with a knife on the trip down. This is going to be a fun trip!!

JerryInLodi
04-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Wht do you mean BS, I have you and Darian going so I can sleep!!! You two will have to put up with my snores!

Whose ashes did Keith snort?

Ed Wahl
04-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Well we did it, or at least David did. Tough fishing. Water was very murky, maybe 3 inches visibility. Didn't get any rain but ole mom nature made up for it with wind. Up and down like yoyos most of the day. Biggest waves I've ever tubed in. Fished for a few hours around the dam starting with floating lines and then with Intermediates. No takers yet. We then kicked upwind to the island where a fellow flyfisher on the shore helped get us on track. Small buggers right on the bottom were working for him so that's what we did.(by the way, if you're reading this, thanks.) David landed our one and only Sacramento Perch shortly afterward. Kinda resembled a Crappie. Fished for a few more hours with nothing but a few small taps on the line. Around 4 we couldn't take any more and called it a day. Todays lesson? We might not have any sense, but we can sure take some punishment. #-o ](*,) Heres a couple of pics. http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001279.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001281.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001280.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I think they are in Pyramid Lake out of Reno, Nevada and down south in Crowley Lake too.

I was told that the introduction of other warm water species put a hurt on them thar Sacramento Perch.

Hairstacker
04-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Congratulations on a well-deserved catch! Under those conditions, I'm surprised you guys caught anything. That water doesn't look very good at all.

David Lee
04-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Jerry -

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=257180

Bill -

That's right . Because they evolved w/ no competition , they do not build nests ..... Sac Perch just drop eggs . Having a proper nest increases the success of the spawn .

Mike -

Thanks !! Take a very close look at the photos 2 and 3 - the water has foam lines and my tube is covered w/ spray . I think the total lack of water clarity has a lot to do w/ why those little fellows are so pale .

The conditions were pretty hairy . The chop was so bad that I felt as if a giant was holding me and shaking me like a can of V-8 or something ....
At one point , I looked over at Ed and he had this look of mild fear (if you know Ed , or have ever fished with him , you know that he is the consumate Bush Man and is as tough as nails) - the waves were spraying a good 6 feet into the air as he kicked into the wind !!

I thought one of us would be flipped , for sure .

Bottom line - Sacramento Perch are a cool little fish , and worthy of a trip . Nevermind the wind , if we'd had had 8 inches of visibility ...... it would have been MUCH better fishing , IMO .

Thanks for the trip , Ed - nothing better than a new species and a good friend to tough it out with .

David :D :D :D

Ed Wahl
04-08-2007, 07:52 AM
I think we were flirting with the boundry between tough, hard-core fishermen and a couple of morons. :D :D Don't miss next weeks episode.......Surfing in Float Tubes. :roll:

David Lee
04-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I think we were flirting with the boundry between tough, hard-core fishermen and a couple of morons. :D :D Don't miss next weeks episode.......Surfing in Float Tubes. :roll:

:shock: :shock: Huh ?????

You mean ...... there's a DIFFERENCE between the two ?!?

David :-k