PDA

View Full Version : Don't wait for some kind of magic....

KD
04-06-2007, 10:23 PM
:?: Delta topwater bass has been going on. Once the water temps hit 60*+consistently, topwater is on.... about a month ago. With 62* being my reference target, the fish will eat fairly consistently on top. This is exactly what they were doing during yesterday's afternoon session in 64* water with around a dozen landed and half as many missed or dropped. All topwater with a 6lb POST SPAWN gal to the boga to ice the cake.

Don't know how to post pics, so no show.

It's only going to get better.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-07-2007, 09:04 AM
What about time of day now for top water KD?

Any particular "general" part of the Delta?

Our Expo is Saturday, April 21 so after that I have big plans to hit the Delta for LMB myself.

KD
04-08-2007, 10:32 AM
The delta is an all day fishery for topwater.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks KD,

We will see you at the Delta seminar and free barbeque at the Sugar Barge Marina this next Sunday.

JerryInLodi
04-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I finally put down my striper rod to spend a little time looking for LMB yesterday, (Monday, 4/9). They were pretty easy to find with fish all over the top of the weed beds at high water. At low tide the fish dropped down the face of the weeds and in between the individual weed towers.

I tossed poppers for a while and stuck some fish but then tried a neutral density baitfish pattern (Puglisi Chartreuse Peanut Butter) stripped over the tops of the weeds and in the cracks on a type III sink tip. This was a lot easier to cast with the wind howling in my face, even right up against the levees.

Instant hookups and lots of them. I fished in water anywhere from 62 to 66 degrees and the results were the same.

As the water levels dropped I changed to a dumbbelled eyed chartreuse woolly bugger worked on the outer edge of the weeds down deep, just ticking the bottom. More grabs. Most of the fish were 1.5 to 2.5 pounds and I missed a 4 pounder who shook the hook out as it busted the surface with a tailwalk.

As KD says, the delta's ready whether you go topwater or submarine with the best action on the top half of the tide, both incoming and outgoing.