PDA

View Full Version : Badger Hackle

Digger
04-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Can someone tell me what/where the badger hackle used along the sides in step 5 is? This isn't from the saddle is it?
The saddle hackle I have is way too long/thin for this.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/instspruceabou.htm

Thanks.

David Lee
04-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Badger in step 5 is the hackle that has the dark stripe down the middle .

Subsitute Furnace (same stuff , just the light part is chocolate instead of Gold ....) . DO NOT cut the Peacock blunt like the photo , taper it and the fish will curse you for doing so .

Good luck !

David :D

Digger
04-06-2007, 06:00 PM
David,
thanks, but I guess I asked incorrectly.
What I need to know is does that badger hackle come from a cape or what?
I have badger hackle from a saddle, but it's way too long/narrow.
Thanks

Pimpinmeat
04-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm curious about this one as well. I killed them on the Owens with these and I have been trying to figure out how to tie them since. Thanks for the link Digger.

Terry Thomas
04-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes, iit does come from a cape. You don't want or need a dry fly grade cape, just a #3 should work fine.
T.

Darian
04-06-2007, 10:43 PM
The hackle siding on that fly looks to be a tip of a feather/hackle. It could come from the cape/neck mentioned by Terry or from strung Chinese saddle hackles. These hackles have wider flue on the butt end and taper nicely to tip required. Just cut off the tip of a feather to a length slightly longer than required for the finished tie and tie it in.... 8) 8) 8)

Digger
04-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys.

Jgoding
04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Digger,

For hackle wings like those I would say a cape is the only way to go (and the lower the grade, probably the better)... You could probably find a chinese rooster cape for cheap that would suffice. The feathers would be more tapered I believe as in the fly in the last picture which is distinctly different then the fly in the tutorial. Depends on the look you would like to go.... I'm not sure how big those flies are either but if they have any size to them a utility saddle might be the way to go for large versions..