PDA

View Full Version : CARP

jhaquett
04-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey guys I have been fishing on a private pond in Orland a few times in the last week, the bass are still a bit cold (though I caught two on a popper yesterday) but they are picking up day by day. I was wading in about knee deep water and I looked out about 5 yards in front of me when three HUGE carp swam by. Less than a minute later, a large school (15+ fish) of HUGE carp swam by. By huge I mean the average fish must have been twelve pounds, and the biggest one I saw had to go for twenty! I don't know if those are considered huge or not but they are big fish to me!

Finally I'll get to my question, it is very simple, how do I catch those beasts?! They are not rising like they do in the summer, just swimming around. Is there any good subsurface fly that will pick them up? If they do start rising, what do I use then? Thanks.

Jay Murakoshi
04-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Where's this lake at? :nod: I'll show you
I've been searching my local lakes but they haven't begun to spawn yet.

I haven't seen any at the Forebay either

Jay

jhaquett
04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Its in Orland by Chico. I went there today, the bite was ALOT hotter for bass and perch but I didn't see a single carp this time!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-10-2007, 12:02 AM
We have a box of just 'Carp' flies now.

Paul Mc
04-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Mmm, Carp,,,,

I found olive wooly buggers, black, purple wooly buggers work. If you have a couple in hot pink, they work best when the carp are spawning.

Throw it out in front and do nothing, if the fish ignores it, just a little twitch and let it settle.

It has to be subtle for the best reult and the fish is easily startled, its best to get in position and wait for them o come to you,

Paul Mc
04-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Mmm, Carp,,,,

I found olive wooly buggers, black, purple wooly buggers work. If you have a couple in hot pink, they work best when the carp are spawning.

Throw it out in front and do nothing, if the fish ignores it, just a little twitch and let it settle.

It has to be subtle for the best reult and the fish is easily startled, its best to get in position and wait for them o come to you,