PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a beginner's casting video

john
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I help teach a flyfishing class at a midwest university. The recent return of winter up here has us weathered out and in the classroom. This past week, when should have been out discussing stream biology, we were stuck with a TU video on proper fish handling and release, a Simms video on wading safety, and a Lefty Kreh casting video. All 3 contained great and necessary info, but what struck me was their droll/dull nature and muzak-like backgroung music. Now this is an evening class and the students are 19-22yr/o. Not exactly a presentation that keeps them on their game. So, I'm wondering if anyone has seen a casting video with a bit more(actually alot more) zip. I've attended casting demos from some great casters, including Lefty, Annette Taylor, and Tim Rajeff. Live(esp. Tim) they seem more "alive". Of the video I've reviewed all would uninspiring to the newbie. Maybe what I'm looking for is a casting video put together by Jamie Howard! Any thoughts? JOHN

alaskanfish
04-05-2007, 12:18 PM
One of the best, most dynamic and entertaining videos is from Mel Krieger http://melkrieger.com/ I have seen many and I agree that most are OK, but Mel's charismatic style and personality makes this video easy to watch and helpful for learning.

Enjoy

JT
04-05-2007, 08:23 PM
I'll have to agree with Alaskanfish. I've seen Mel Krieger's The Essence of Flycasting (I and II) many times. They're that good.

Adam Grace
04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I also agree, Mel Kreiger's Beginning Fly Casting video is a great first casting video.