PDA

View Full Version : Not FFing: Computer/web stuff...................

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-04-2007, 10:23 PM
At least once a month I reboot my computers (all Dell PCs).

Then I go to"Window Update" web site and check for new updates and download them.

Then I go to my Internet "TOOLS" and then to "Internet Options" and delete my "temporary files".

Then I use "Spybot" and clean off all the spy ware that I have collected from surfing the web.

Then in "Programs" under "Accessories" in "system tools" I defrag my hard drive. That can take a long time.

I also have a current software for virus protection like Norton or McAfee and check them for current updates too.

After I do all that my system usually runs a little fast.

Putting in a larger hard drive is pretty cheap today too. $100

Adding RAM is one of the cheapest improvements you can do to your PC. I like 1 gig for a minimum. More if you are a wild Photo-shop person like Andy Guibord.

DSL is a nice fast connection. I hear cable is faster. Then "Sure-west" is really fast.

Also 20" flat panel monitors are under $300 now.

Digger
04-05-2007, 09:03 PM
one word . . .

MAC

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alaskanfish
04-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Though Macs are not immune from their share of problems... I must say that my next computer will be a mac???

jhaquett
04-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Yea get a Mac...I have a Macbook laptop, excellent computer. Anyone I have talked to who has had a modern Mac will never go back. There are plenty of Mac haters out there but if you ask them if they've owned a modern Mac, the answer is invariably no! I have owned both, PCs are fine, Macs are better. One program is used to take care of all cleaning of the entire computer (ONYX), and a smooth OS and processor make it practically immune to needing any services. Plus the programs are so much cooler, and I'd rather support Steve Jobs than Bill Gates any day!

Gregg Machel
04-06-2007, 01:35 AM
I've always had PCs and only a little bit of interaction with a MAC. I'm not into bashing either of them, so that's not my point here.

I used to manage a software store (although a few years ago) called Egghead Software. The Mac software was lacking back then and accounted for probably 5% of our store's sales, even though it had a greater percentage of our inventory. Now this probably has changed a bit by then, but I still don't think it is equal.

I've got about 8 computers at home now and all but one are PCs. The other one is a Sun Solaris box (Unix).

I do website development for a living and have previously been an IT Engineer, and Support as as well.

I hear great things about MACs from people that have had trouble with their PCs though, but personally I find it tough to make the transition. I would also not want to give up some of the little tools I use in my trade which are not available on MAC.

The software most people use though should be available on both systems.

To sum it up, I would say get whatever you are comfortable with, and if you know someone you can use for a resident "guru" that will not be going away soon, use them for guidance.

And by buying a PC, you are not necessarily giving Bill Gates your money, he only sells the Windows Operating system, there are many other options to Windows. :)

Also, Apple is now using Intel processors instead of just Motorola. Not sure if you all knew that.

OK, I've talked too much here already, I could go on all day.

Darian
04-06-2007, 08:26 AM
I have both; a MacBookPro laptop and a Windows based Laptop. 8) 8) I agree with gregg. They both have their pros/cons. There're a few points I would like to add, tho.

The Windows O/S is open to attack by all sorts of hackers/intruders/lurkers into your sysrtem. :( :x Guess this is due to the open architecture of Windows. As a result, my Windows box requires constant maintenance. Open architecture is two edge sword. :?

By contrast, the MacBookPro hasn't required much in the way of maintenance, at all; functions well and is really easy to use. I suppose that this might change now that Apple is moving to open their O/S for limited development. If you add MS software for the Mac to your system, you open your it (....in a limited way) to potential attack.

There're still minor compatibility issues between the Mac and Windows
O/S's.

I've had little trouble adjusting to use of both computers and O/S during. 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
04-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Now that we are on the subject of computers. I've been doing some video editing on my PC and still learning the in's and out's of editing.
I thought an external drive would be my answer to storing the 30 gigs for the tapes. But the 30 gigs needs to be on the hard drive to be able to edit and save the work.

Well anyway, my next question is I'm thinking about signing up for a Website construction class just to learn a little bit of Front Page and how to do things. My site is so OLD, it's beginning to look like moldy bread.
I want to post photo's of every one of my flies available through my company and put up a fishing report board and be able to maintain it myself.
So with a dumb s*** like me, (boy did I leave myself open) would it be worth it or just go out and buy 10 more manuals on FP.

Thanks

Jay

Digger
04-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Although I posted as a humorous jab only (since this is a fishing BB), but I'd like to respond in kind.

I've been using the 'PC' since the early 80's in an Aerospace/engineering environment. Originally DOS based then, when benfits of networking desktops became evident over massive IBM or CRAY systems. Today the Wintel oligopoly dominates the landscape something in excess of 90% and most of our corporate legacy systems use applications such as SAP or Oracle and our own in-house develpoed CAD programs. That will never change, done deal.

It wasn't until the advanced design groups started using a MAC in the early 90's did we realize the ease of use, and graphic capability that the Apple would provide. When the RISC processors of the Power Mac's came out the power/speed really jumped.

So, I have no choice but to be well versed in both formats, but when it comes to my personal financial outlay, even though I paid twice as much, I chose Macintosh. My 1st Mac which is over a 13 yrs old runs like a Timex watch. My newest Mac is even faster than my networked Dell at work.

In reference to virus', it simply dosen't make much sense for these A-hole hackers to create viruses to systems that are so few, not so much about open architechture, however the Windows platform does seem to have secuirity issues in every version released.

In reference to software, there's absolutley more available for the Windows OS, but how many does the average person need? The MS Office suites, graphics, finance apps, web browsers, etc are available. Certain situtation specific items may not be.

The graphics design/advertising/magazine/publishing media companies are almost exclusively Mac.

The decision of using the new Intel chips was mostly one of mfg convience/cost, although performance was also raised.

The people truly responsible for the original GUI system was Xerox. This was the innovation that spawned the original Apple OS, which eventually forced MS to create windows. Were it not for the decision of Apple to play it close to the vest and the significant price difference, I would suspect the market share for Mac's would be significantly larger, personally I like it as is. Apple is not out to capture market share, they are more about innovation in other media. The pricing puts it in more of a niche market where you get the unique-ness of the OS and design.
Today the capabilities of PC vs. Mac are closer, howver I do still get a good laugh at the commercials.

Digger
04-07-2007, 01:56 PM
how timely with the .ani security issue

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/hacking/2007-03-30-cursor-risk_N.htm?csp=34

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-07-2007, 04:13 PM
You can run a PC or a MAC but please don't be an AOL user.

That really sucks.