PDA

View Full Version : Truckee Report for 4/3/07

rosebud
04-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I decided to brave the cold today (yeah right!--see post "Oh No, Snow!") and hit the Truckee River.

What a gorgeous day! It started out brisk (29F) but warmed to 66F that afternoon. I almost wanted to be in shorts! I fished the Glenshire Drive outlet, just upstream of SFFCC's private land.

I siened the rocks first. Lots of BIG Stone Nymphs. I'd read that Skwala Stone, Yellow Stone, BWO, and March Browns were out now. Saw some Stone duns buzzin', some micro mayflies, BWO (sporatic) duns, and a few caddis duns (up at the Little Truckee).

I rigged a two-nymph system, played around a bit and had the best luck with a fox poopah dropping to a March Brown emerger. They seemed to be hitting anything with partridge. (Tried the Stones first, but no luck).

Anyway, I had two HUGE trout! The first broke the fly while I was trying to get him to the reel when he started to run and the second went airborn and unhooked :cry:. The flier looked 18"-20"! Had a couple refusals when trying a Stimulator dropper later that afternoon. Both hookups were between 9 AM and 11 AM. No other anglers at that time, but I went back at 3:30 PM and it was packed.

No Pics, but I had a great time! Hope this helps!

- Rick.

P.S. I hit the Little Truckee from 1PM to 3PM and got and saw nothing.

bigtj
04-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Way to go Rosebud, sounds like a fun trip. Keep in mind this is an unusual year. Last year at this time flows were around triple what you're seeing now, and the fishing begins to get iffy by the middle of April through the middle of June. However, these dry winters like this set up some pretty remarkable conditions for a very good time up there, and it's not likely to slow down much at all for most of the spring and early summer.

dtp916
04-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Awwwww Yeaaah! :D

Right on, Rick. I might have to try your set up next time. It's been getting busy out there with the warmer weather.