PDA

View Full Version : Another Season...

WinterrunRon
04-02-2007, 05:44 PM
I had a blast this past year (October-March) chasing steelhead on the Trinity, Klamath, Amerian and Eel Rivers. I probably fished upwards of maybe 60 days or so but I didn't make it to the Gualala, Smith or Chetco this year. If you didn't get out, at least a few times, you let some really nice runs of fish get by you.

All the rivers produced some big fish this year, although the American didn't seem to have the numbers of fish, it gave me some real toads. I give the Trinity River top honors for numbers of fish and the Eel River gets my vote for fish having the nastiest personalities. They just flat out didn't like being hooked! Big, powerful and all natives!

The Eel and many coastal rivers closed on Sunday. I think the exception may be the Smith, and Trinity above the South Fork. They may be open until May 1. Nothing official, mind you, but I'm done for the year so I havn't inquired.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/WinterrunRon/IMG_5768.jpg

Steelhead rods are back in thier cases and now it's on to stripers. And after seeing Mike's report in that forum, I'd better get going!

bigtj
04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Great post, thanks for the summary. I just got back from my last trip of the year on the Oregon coast. It's time to let those fish have a chance to spawn, even in the open water like the Trinity, those downrunners need their energy. Time to think about trout fishing and start tying for next year. In the mean time, I can't wait for the 4th of July, when summer runs start showing on the NU. Steelhead fishing isn't quite a 365 day a year endeavor for me, but 9 months out of 12 ain't bad.

sculpin
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I admire both of you for your ambition to travel great distances just to target fish I take for granted at times. Don't bother with the Rogue River though, everyone knows there are no fish in it. :D

Mark

Jasonh
04-03-2007, 08:16 PM
My goal someday is to spend 365 days a year steelhead fishing! It can be done! All this talk of steelhead is making me crazy. Time to start tying for summer runs!

bigtj
04-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Sculpin,

Distance is relative. I moved back to Reno from the Ft. Collins area 2 years ago. In that time, I've made trips as close as the Feather and American (2 hours), the Trinity (4 hours), Rogue and Umpqua (5-6 hours), the Oregon coast (7-10 hours), Olympic Peninsula (14 hours) and British Columbia (26 hours one-way). Know what? Each and every trip is worth it, and when your mind is set on steel, the road just melts away. All I can say is, I'm glad I'm not back in Colorado where it would have been almost as close to drive to the great lakes for steelhead as the west coast. Besides, compared to Colorado, I'm saving about 12 hours every time I go steelheading. Like I said, distance is all relative.

Oh yeah and by the way I can vouch there aren't any steelhead in the Rogue!

sculpin
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey TJ
Boy, I'm glad I don't have your gas bill. I would imagine a move a little closer to good steelhead fishing could be in your future.

Mark

bigtj
04-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Mark,

Some day I plan to end up in Southern Oregon. In the mean time I live walking distance from the Truckee, and fish it 70 days a year, many days after work. My gas bill for those trips are $0, and the fishing is awesome for wild freestone trout to 25". When you average out my gas cost per day over a season of fishing, it ends up being a lot cheaper than folks, for example, who live in Medford, who drive 15-30 minutes to their favorite spots on the Upper Rogue, or 2 hours over to the Coast, or a similar distance for trout fishing down on the Klamath or up on the Deschutes. Like I said, distance is all relative, although the 100 yds from my garage to the Truckee is relatively short!

Bottom line...no matter where you live, it's always fun to road trip and try some new and different water. Whether that be a new section of river on your home water, or a 3-week trip to BC, it's what fly-fishing is all about for me..the never-ending adventure.